Gargoyle 1.4.7 USB Tethering

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

lash444

Gargoyle 1.4.7 USB Tethering

Post by lash444 »

Just want to say thanks for those who have contributed to making Gargoyle. Simple, but effective.

I tried the newer firmware versions 1.5.* and they just don't seem to be as stable as the tried and true 1.4.7 on my WNDR3700 v1. I love to try new things though, but I ultimately fallback on that version when I have issues.

Then I decided I wanted to do USB tethering. I set out to get it working in 1.4.7, and had no luck. Switching to Openwrt 10.0.3.1 (whatever the backfire version was) I had immediate success. I simply had to add the required packages listed on:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=26734

and then set wan to usb0. Works every time.

Problem is, I don't like OpenWRT as much. Seems like when I do something intense on my router, that the connection isnt the same afterwards. Rebooting the router fixes it. I don't remember ever having that problem on Gargoyle.

I have tried to install the openwrt packages on gargoyle from that list. 2 of the packages are older than the 1.4.7 version. The rest seem to go in without a hitch. I have changed the /etc/config/network file to have usb0 as the interface to the wan. dmesg shows RNDIS with a mac address. ifconfig shows the usb0 interface, but there is no IP address. I am not sure where to go from here.

Anyone had any luck getting usb tethering to work with Gargoyle? I have seen other threads created on this topic, but nobody goes into detail. Id LOVE to have gargoyle 1.4.7 back on my router AND have usb tethering. A guide would seriously be VERY much appreciated by the community me thinks :D

lash444

Re: Gargoyle 1.4.7 USB Tethering

Post by lash444 »

Nevermind. Decided on a different option. Thanks!