Suggestion: Time quotas

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

cj_mack

Suggestion: Time quotas

Post by cj_mack »

Hi,

Just a thought for a feature on Gargoyle. I don't know anything about coding etc, so I'm unsure how possible this is.

What I think could be beneficial is a "Login" for each user to access the internet, and when they login they have a set amount of time they are allowed access for. If they logout, then their time is paused until they login again. Very similar to what is used in internet cafes/kiosks/hotels etc...

If you could get something like this working, I know a few people who would turn to Gargoyle for their internet control at their businesses straight away. You could even package it with routers pre-programmed and supply them to businesses, and try and recover some costs. At present, kiosk based management systems cost an arm and a leg, and is priced out on a per-client/licence basis, so can get very pricey.

pbix
Developer

Re: Suggestion: Time quotas

Post by pbix »

This is the function of a Hotspot. There are several good packages available for this including chillispot, wifidog and others. I use www.hotspotsystems.com on several of my DD-WRT routers. It works great. At my site each user has a certain amount of data they are allowed to transfer per month. The site maintains a record of it.

Anyway since this is already done by these packages I don't think it would be a good idea to add it directly to Gargoyle.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM