WPA and Vista problems

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

snotick

WPA and Vista problems

Post by snotick »

I did a quick search and didn't see any other discussion about the problems I am having.

First off, After my disastrous attempt at installing Gargoyle myself, I went ahead and bought the T-Link from the Gargoyle store. The router has been up and running for the past day and I love it. Thanks Eric

I needed a router that would allow me to monitor my three kids. Each has their own laptop and iPhone, and my teenage sons play a couple hours of XBox live each day. When you throw in my own online streaming, I needed to figure out where my bandwidth is being used.

Everything has worked perfectly so far except for one HP laptop. It is a few years old and running Windows Vista. I have connected it to every router I've owned during that time. Both stock FW and DD-WRT variants without any problems

The only way to get the laptop to connect is to switch to WEP. I have twin sons, with the same model laptop, one is running WIn 7, the other Vista. The Win 7 laptop has been running fine since the yesterday. The first red flag on the Vista was during the initial setup, after entering the WPA key, the pop up window that asks if it is a HOME or PUBLIC network never showed up.

The laptop says that it is connected to the router, but that the network is unidentified. It also shows limited connectivity with NO internet. If I change the router to WEP and reconnect, I get a connection and am able to connect to the internet. (I still don't get a pop up screen asking if it is a HOME network)

To make things more interesting, I have the T-Link centrally located in the living room. I have a line running to a Linksys 8 port switch in my home office. Out of curiosity, I hooked up an US Robotics router I've had for a few years. I was able to get the Vista laptop to connect to the US Robotics router with WPA2 and WPA. It is also set to both TKIP and AES. So, the laptop will connect to a WPA2 router, just not the T-Link Gargoyle. (I also get the pop up screen asking if this is a HOME network)

I've been through a ton of google searches, and tried a bunch of different things with no success. I am wondering if it is the TKIP/AES encryption, but I can't find a way to change it in the router settings. Since the US Robotics is running both, the laptop was able to connect.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Running long term with WEP, is not my ideal solution.

Sorry for the long post.

DoesItMatter

Re: WPA and Vista problems

Post by DoesItMatter »

What type of connections do the Win 7 machines have?

I'd have to guess they have Wireless-N devices

Wireless-N spec is WPA2 - you cannot use WPA

WEP / WPA = Wireless G

WPA2-AES is the standard for Wireless-N

Even though Windows 7 is saying WPA - it should be WPA2-AES

Do not choose TKIP (not sure if that is an option on Gargoyle)

If you are still having wireless issues, after trying those different settings,
I would suggest a restore to defaults and re-configure fresh

Or you could always re-flash Gargoyle 1.5.10 and un-check
the setting to preserve settings (do not keep settings!)
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400