TPLINK WR741ND V2 - bricked

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

frleong

TPLINK WR741ND V2 - bricked

Post by frleong »

Hello, I've by mistake flashed the latest gargoyle_1.5.10-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin instead of v2 firmware and the router cannot boot anymore, with SYS and QSS LED lights flashing.

Is the serial cable recovery the only method? I am not savvy in electronics. I have a USB-to-COM adapter myself. Can I use an ordinary serial cable to connect to this router? Thanks.

ddahl

Re: TPLINK WR741ND V2 - bricked

Post by ddahl »

Take a look at the OpenWRT wiki entry "OpenWrt Failsafe". If you can successfully telnet into the router in failsafe mode, you may be able to flash the correct firmware using the mtd command. See OpenWRT wiki entry "TP-Link TL-WR741ND: Upgrading OpenWRT" for more info.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

frleong wrote:Hello, I've by mistake flashed the latest gargoyle_1.5.10-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin instead of v2 firmware and the router cannot boot anymore, with SYS and QSS LED lights flashing.
Try the failsafe method.
frleong wrote: Is the serial cable recovery the only method? I am not savvy in electronics. I have a USB-to-COM adapter myself. Can I use an ordinary serial cable to connect to this router? Thanks.
Otherwise, serial is the only way to recover your router.
Yes, you just need to an ordinary serial cable but you need to open the case and connect the serial to it..
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

frleong

Post by frleong »

ericwong wrote: Otherwise, serial is the only way to recover your router.
Yes, you just need to an ordinary serial cable but you need to open the case and connect the serial to it..
Hi, I just read that ordinary USB-to-COM Port and RS232C cables are of 5V, and I must use a TTL to convert it to 3.3V, is this correct? Thanks.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

frleong wrote: Hi, I just read that ordinary USB-to-COM Port and RS232C cables are of 5V, and I must use a TTL to convert it to 3.3V, is this correct? Thanks.
What we do is don't use the power connector pin, it will work just fine.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.