Problems with Battlefield 3

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

wipeD

Problems with Battlefield 3

Post by wipeD »

Hey community!

We have a little problem according Qos/ACC and Battlefield 3 on our TL-WR1043N running Gargoyle 1.5.9.
First of all: The QoS and ACC are both working perfectly on any other game but BF3.

For example Dota 2: No matter what I do, the ping stays under 50ms. You can see that when pinging some IP next to me. It stays low.

When in Battlefield 3, anyways, the ping is shortly normal, then spikes up to 300-600ms and then goes back down below 50, then spikes again.

This is VERY annoying as we have a 2mbps DSL line.

So my question to you guys is: Does anybody else had this problem yet and if yes - how'd you fix it?
BTW: Wenn ingame(BF3) the ACC State is indeed "MIN RTT" the ACC also receives Ping Times of a low ping which never goes over ~70ms .. The ping ingame says something else. And that is not a display bug - the movemen lags as well.

If you need any information, ask for it.

Thanks!

pbix
Developer

Re: Problems with Battlefield 3

Post by pbix »

It is important to understand that high ping times can happen for several reasons. Gargoyle QoS takes care of one common one but in you case your ping times are going high because of something between your ISP and the game server you are using. Most likely it is the game server itself.

You could study how BF3 works and figure out if is the other guys computer or link or perhaps a game server. But I doubt there will be much you can do about it. It could be the other guys system and not yours at fault.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Statix

Post by Statix »

How fast are your upload and download speeds? What did you set your upload and download to in QoS?

Have you tried disabling Gargoyle's ACC feature to see if that alleviates the problem? Does this issue affect all Battlefield 3 servers you play on?
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - Gargoyle 1.6.1

wipeD

Post by wipeD »

pbix wrote:It is important to understand that high ping times can happen for several reasons. Gargoyle QoS takes care of one common one but in you case your ping times are going high because of something between your ISP and the game server you are using. Most likely it is the game server itself.

You could study how BF3 works and figure out if is the other guys computer or link or perhaps a game server. But I doubt there will be much you can do about it. It could be the other guys system and not yours at fault.
Since BF3 runs with Servers on selected Hosts, I guess it is something in the settings. Back when I was using a custom ping, it wouldnt spike. But I guess that explains itself?
Statix wrote:How fast are your upload and download speeds? What did you set your upload and download to in QoS?

Have you tried disabling Gargoyle's ACC feature to see if that alleviates the problem? Does this issue affect all Battlefield 3 servers you play on?
Download: 2301kbits
Upload: 445kbits

Set them to the same rates 'cause it says so in the info. (PPPoE or what it's called, got it from the modem)

Yes, it does effect all BF3 servers.
I will see if disabling ACC helps a bit, would be great though.

Thanks for your advices, I hope we will fix the problem as soon as possible.

Ah, maybe that could help:
My brother is playing BF3 right now and the link is unloaded. So BF3 can have the bandwith it needs to have, which is about 100kbits. When I download stuff, the link limit gets loaded and ACC tries to reduce it, but BF3 only receives about 15kbits(which are indeed only 2kB/s) .. I thought games doesn't need more than that, but I guess I was wrong.

The "Gaming" class is set to have min BW of 400kbits. We play together sometimes so we need at least 200 I guess.