Can I limit total bandwidth with Gargoyle?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

andres99

Can I limit total bandwidth with Gargoyle?

Post by andres99 »

I need to balance the speed of two wireless gateways, both wired (in parallel) to a Thomson router (in bridge mode) connected to WAN.

I have a total of 5Mbps up / 10 Mbps down through the Thomson router and I want each of the two gateways (and all wireless clients behind it) to have 2.5 Mbps up / 5 Mbps down strict bandwidth limit for WAN.

One of the gateways is Linksys RV082 (the wireless part is done by a third router bridged to it but this is not important here) and it can limit its maximum uplink/downlink WAN bandwidth very well. No problem there.

The other gateway is Linksys WRT54GL and I have not found a way to effectively limit its WAN bandwidth from inside it. It is presently running Tomato but the QoS limits actually seem not to limit anything; the gateway is just grabbing all the bandwidth it can get, no matter what QoS limits I apply from its configuration interface. I was thinking of flashing this gateway with Gargoyle.

I do not need to balance the loads on the LAN side. I just want to make sure that the bandwidth limit I set to the WAN port of the gateway is strictly followed even when more bandwidth is actually available.

Can Gargoyle set a limit to the bandwidth (Mbps) so that the router running Gargoyle will strictly not use any more?
Last edited by andres99 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jorgemiguel4

Re: Can I limit total bandwidth with Gargoyle?

Post by jorgemiguel4 »

Yes, gargoyle will limit the bandwith. I have done that by mistake :lol:

andres99

Re: Can I limit total bandwidth with Gargoyle?

Post by andres99 »

Thanks, I will give Gargoyle a try!