Mismatched Bridge IP with AP, lost access to config

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

GBR

Mismatched Bridge IP with AP, lost access to config

Post by GBR »

Hi all,

This is my second attempt at flashing a router (first was an e2000 with dd-wrt and it went well), and my first attempt with Gargoyle. Things were fairly easy, as I skipped the openwrt and just flashed the Gargoyle image into my TP-Link WDR3600.

I'm using my router as a repeater. Here's the problem: When I entered the bridge IP address, I didn't use the same subnet as my access point. I was thinking the subnet was 192.168.x.x, not 192.168.0.x. As a result, my AP is 192.168.0.1 and my bridge IP is 192.168.1.8. If it matters, I also used the setting "repeater enabled".

After all that, my repeater is working fine as far as connectivity, but I can't load up the config menu. Even this I could survive with given my limited knowledge and use, but I didn't password protect my router before losing access to the config menu.

I've tried a few hours worth of fixes, but I know very little about any of this, and I'm confused enough that after a few minutes of reading, I have 100 tabs open trying to figure out what I'm reading about.

So, if anyone has an idea for a fix in layman's terms, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rog66

Re: Mismatched Bridge IP with AP, lost access to config

Post by Rog66 »

Whats happening is your subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 so a request to anything outside of the address range 192.168.0.x is being sent to the internet.

On your router go to connection -> basic and change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 temporarily. Save the changes and then try and connect to the AP with its IP address (you may have to disconnect/reconnect your PC or reboot it so its network card picks up the same subnet mask).

If that works - change the APs details and then reset your subnet mask on your router back to 255.255.255.0.

If the above doesn't work try setting your routers LAN address temporarily to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1 and reboot your pc so it picks up an address in this range. You can then access the AP and change its IP address to a 192.168.0.x number before changing your router back.

GBR

Post by GBR »

Changing the first routers IP to fit my bridge worked. The idea had occurred to me, but I didn't want to mess anything else up. Thanks for the validation/confidence to give it a try. I'm back in.

GBR

Post by GBR »

I'm having more problems. I've nailed it down to this:

My base router is unpassworded. However, I would like to password my repeater. When I try to password my repeater, it no longer broadcasts--at least not publicly and not that I can see. When I remove the password, it shows again.

Any ideas?