PPPoE problem?

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

FRiC

PPPoE problem?

Post by FRiC »

I can't seem to get PPPoE to work correctly. The router is already connected, has got a WAN IP, and can access the net fine (ipkg works). Devices connected to the router can resolve names, but otherwise can't reach the Internet. Thoughts?

WRT54GL, beta 3.

jang

Re: PPPoE problem?

Post by jang »

My router only got the ip from the modem, after doing a reset on the modem. Maybe that helps.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

If the router has a WAN IP, and can fully access the internet (you say you can use ipkg to download new software from the internet), but the computers connected to it cannot, that doesn't sound like a problem with PPPoE.

It sounds like outbound traffic isn't getting forwarded correctly. There may be multiple causes of this, but I ran into very similar symptoms when a single process was chewing up all the cpu time, starving iptables of the processor time it needed to forward packets properly.

Try logging into the router and running top. Is there a single process using up all the cpu time? If so, 1) disable that process/utility and 2) let me know what it is and as much information as you can provide about your current configuration so I can fix the bug, if it exists.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

Hmm, I thought it's PPPoE related, since if I switch Gargoyle to DHCP (and also changing the ADSL modem on the WAN side from bridge mode to router mode), it works immediately.

I also notice that Gargoyle doesn't show the WAN IP in the status page in PPPoE mode.

Will check the running processes and report back.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ok, I poked around online and figured out what's going on. Your latest description, that using the DHCP configuration fixes the issue, confirms that this is indeed a problem with PPPoE. A description of what's causing the problem, and solution can be found here.

It looks like this has been fixed by the developers in the latest Kamikaze release (8.09) which I am now working to port Gargoyle to. So, this will be fixed in the next release of Gargoyle, and until then you can manually adjust the necessary files as described in link above.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

Yah, I saw that page after I made my previous post. But even then, I still couldn't get PPP to work. Will try messing around some more later. Thanks! :geek:

hotzenpl0tz

Post by hotzenpl0tz »

Please post your progress FRiC - I wasted 3 hours today with that exact same problem :D But when playing around with the webinterface I immediately fell in lvoe, the qos settings are just so nice !!

Btw: how easy would an upgrade to a newer version be, will I be able to save my settings when the upgrade to the new kamikaze final version comes along ?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I'm not sure if this will help solve the problem or not (unfortunately I don't have any way to test PPPoE connections, which makes debugging the issue very annoying), but I notice that when X-wrt configures PPPoE in Kamikaze, it always sets defaultroute=1.

I've implemented this in the svn (r118) and have uploaded ipk packages that include this fix. You can install these gargoyle packages using the instructions found in the install guide, or by manually setting this option with "uci set network.wan.defaultroute=1" after accessing the router via the command line.

I would appreciate it if someone could let me know whether or not this works. Thanks!

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

I tried both uci set and installing the updated gargoyle package. Neither way worked.

hotzenpl0tz

Post by hotzenpl0tz »

Unfortunately my router is in a multiple person environment and I can't really play around that much with it because of alle the internet addicts here. One thing I noticed when recently upgrading from white russian to kamikaze was that now there was a firewall setting in x-wrt that I had to set, that allowed traffic from wan to lan (or the other way around). Could it be some kind of firewall/iptables setting that prevents traffic from wan to lan ?