PPPoE problem?

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Re: PPPoE problem?

Post by Eric »

Ok, I guess it still doesn't work, but I want to thank you guys for trying this. I REALLY appreciate all your help & feedback. It's very annoying not being able to test this feature myself.

hotzenpl0tz -- As noted above I thought it might be some issue with iptables as well, and in a way it is. See the above link. The problem is that the WAN interface is being set as eth0.1 and not ppp0. So, the firewall sets up forwarding for eth0.1, but all the traffic is on ppp0. (At least that's the bug described in the above link, and this explanation makes perfect sense given the symptoms you're seeing -- testing it myself is not possible... grrrr...)

So, here's my plan: I'm working as fast as I can on the bare-minimum of code needed to get current features working in 8.09 branch, where (theoretically) this issue is fixed. Instead of making the next release RC1, I'll release a Beta4 that has just this bare-minimum for compatibility in a week or two. The Holidays are coming up and I should have a significant amount of free time to try and push to get this done fast. That way I can release code with working PPPoE as soon as possible, as well as allow more time for users to test the migration to 8.09 and report any issues relating to this change before RC1.

Also, if anyone following this thread would be interested in helping me test PPPoE in this new Beta4 before the official release please either contact me via the contact page or email me at eric AT gargoyle-router.com. It would be really helpful if someone could validate that PPPoE is working on the new version (when it is ready in a couple of weeks) before I make an official release.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

I have a WRT54GL dedicated to testing Gargoyle. Will help test. (Mail sent.)

hotzenpl0tz

Post by hotzenpl0tz »

Any news on this ? Really looking forward to the new version.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

Eric sent me a beta-beta4 based on 8.09. It works. :geek:

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

PPPoE does indeed work in this experimental version, but I'm still working out several other issues associated with migrating to Kamikaze 8.09. I'm just about finished though -- I plan to make the release within a week.

Anyone interested can find the experimental (broadcom) firmware versions at gargoyle-router.com/experimental, or you can check out the source from the svn trunk.