Difference between Atheros and Broadcom support ?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

yousaf465

Difference between Atheros and Broadcom support ?

Post by yousaf465 »

Is there any differences between features for broadcom and atheros based routers ? e.g DD-wrt doesn't support Vlan on atheros, nor you can install all the optware.

yousaf465

Re: Difference between Atheros and Broadcom support ?

Post by yousaf465 »

80 views but still no reply :?

HWgeek

Post by HWgeek »

I am rather new here, but my understanding was that Gargoyle is primarily a front end GUI for openwrt. Rather than a full build up of code like say dd-wrt or openwrt.

If that is correct, then whatever openwrt supports or doesn't, is what gargoyle would support.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Gargoyle is mostly a front end to OpenWRT. It also includes features not found in OpenWRT like Quotas, graphing, charts and advanced QoS. However, there are some features of OpenWRT that are not supported by the Gargoyle GUI. VLANs would fall in this category. Many features like this can still be used on a Gargoyle router by proper modification of the OpenWRT configuration files underneath.

Gargoyle is targeted at the home user who is tech savvy but has little or no knowledge of Linux networking. It concentrates on features important to the average home user and makes them simpler to configure, monitor and comprehend.

OpenWRT is a Linux port and while very flexible and capable it is in my opinion too much for most people not familiar with Linux networking. OpenWRT is intended for a very wide area of application and research. People interested in the subject should try both and form their own opinions. It takes about 10 minutes to switch firmware back and forth.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM