WSD with Asus routers

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

jang

WSD with Asus routers

Post by jang »

Hi, I'm trying to recreate my original setup (using Asus firmware) with Gargoyle, unfortunately.
The idea is to have two routers, under the same network and wireless.
(I'm aware of wep lack of security) :roll:
Main router is an Asus wl500g-Premium v1, connected to wan and running dhcp server.
Second router is an Asus wl500g-Deluxe, without wan and dhcp.
Config:
both use wep, both use the same channel and same key.
They have different SSIDs and the second is configured to connect to first through the web gui. Both are turned on and can be accessed by cable and wireless. But I can't ping one from the other.
Is this feature fully implemented? Can you say what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: WSD with Asus routers

Post by Eric »

First, I think you mean WDS, not WSD. Currently Gargoyle doesn't support configuration of WDS (even though OpenWrt allows this) because WDS is not compatible between different wireless chips. I wanted to avoid problems where people claimed my software wasn't working properly (which would happen if they were trying to connect routers with different chips), since I would rather people complain I'm missing a feature than that the software is broken. However, as several people have now requested this feature, I am reconsidering this decision. The best solution may be to include a sternly worded warning of some sort (that the routers must be the same model) when this option is configured.

That said, you can set up the routers to connect via wireless client mode in Gargoyle. This configuration will allow you to access the outer router from within the network of the inner router, but not visa-versa.

jang

Re: WDS with Asus routers

Post by jang »

I thought the problem was with different firmware and not different hardware. I was actually trying to use AP+client on the deluxe and AP on the Premium. Congratulations on Gargoyle, it looks really good.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: WSD with Asus routers

Post by Eric »

The problem with WDS is actually with both different firmware and with different hardware. A large part of the problem is that wireless drivers, in particular the broadcom wireless driver, is proprietary. So different drivers/versions of the drivers cause incompatibilities. e.g. broadcom driver in white russian doesn't work with broadcom driver in kamikaze. Also, madwifi (atheros) driver, which is open source, doesn't work with broadcom drivers.

I realize wireless bridging is very useful, and would be a great feature... but these issues are incredibly annoying.