DHCP Allocation

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

doggy

DHCP Allocation

Post by doggy »

Hi, I am setting up a router for an organisation in a small third world country where my friends have a real need for quotas due to the ISP pricing policies.

Gargoyle looked good and so I purchased a WNDR3800.

Beautiful! Installation was totally smooth and the setup was a delight.

Great job team!

I have only one question and cannot find the answer in the forum- but it could be hidden away somewhere.

Obviously, it would be good if the LAN DHCP server always served up the same IP to each MAC address otherwise the quotas do not make much sense over a longer timeframe.

If I specify a MAC-IP association in the section for fixed IPs, will this ensure that DHCP always serves up that IP to that MAC (only)? This is how some other routers do it- i.e. using the fixed IP configuration to pre-determine the mappings with DHCP.

Any information that someone could give would be much appreciated.

Again, thanks for the excellent product. Last time I did this was years ago on a Linux server with IPTables so you have saved me heaps of work.

Dave
Sydney, Australia

DoesItMatter

Re: DHCP Allocation

Post by DoesItMatter »

:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

doggy

Post by doggy »

DoesItMatter wrote:http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =13&t=3196

See this thread for info.
Hi, thanks for that. It seems that, in practice, MAC addresses will be getting the same IPs (though not totally guaranteed). I can work with that and will define "catch-all" quotas for casual clients and also for "regular" users if they somehow get a different IP.

Best Regards,
Dave

SergeS

Post by SergeS »

Also do not forget about "Block MAC addresses assigned a static IP that connect from a different IP" checkbox on the DHCP tab. :-)