Qos Master & subclasses

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Dev_BR

Qos Master & subclasses

Post by Dev_BR »

HI,

I've been thinking about the following scenario:
1 - QoS Down, BW MAX = 4Mbps
2 - QoS Down, BW MAX = 2Mbps

Suppose 10 hosts are in rule 1 and no host in rule 2.
A very basic math gives us 0.4 Mbps, at full load for each user.
So, suppose there is a quota, where, upon reaching 1Gb, the client is moved to Rule 2 (MAX BW = 2Mbps).

So we have 9 users in Rule 1, disputing 4Mbps and only 1 user with a unique channel of 2Mbps.
Thus, it seems more advantageous to extrapolate the quota and have 2Mbps.

Another disadvantage is that the rule 1 and 2 require exclusive bandwidth, or 4 + 2 = 6 Mbps link payload.
In my view, would be more appropriate than a master rule could generate other derived rules.
For example, create a "Master" rule with 4 Mbps; Inside those 4Mbps, another "child" rules could be derived from 2 Mbps (subclass).

Is there any way to do it ?

Thanks

pbix
Developer

Re: Qos Master & subclasses

Post by pbix »

There are endless varieties of ways that one can design QoS systems using scripts and the command line interface of Linux.

But when faced with making a useable user interface simplifications have to be made which is what has been done in Gargoyle. In fact I would say that Gargoyle QoS is already to complicated for most users.

I encourage you to experiment with your own designs using the command line interface.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM