Jumbo frames

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Hoggy

Jumbo frames

Post by Hoggy »

I'm wondering if Gargoyle will support Jumbo frames or not? Or is that kind of thing handled in hardware only?

I have 2 machines that are set to ~9k Jumbo frames(IIRC). I don't know how well it's working or if it is at all.. I've forgotten how to check into that kind of thing.

Thanks again. Getting my Gargoyle noob Q's out of the way. ;)
Netgear WNDR3800 w/Gargoyle 1.5.8 (using)
Netgear WNDR3700v3 w/Factory FW (now as backup)
Noticed wireless is stronger in WNDR3800 too.

__Miguel_

Re: Jumbo frames

Post by __Miguel_ »

OK, there are plenty of questions there. Let me try answer them as best as I can.

1) How to check if your NICs support jumbo frames (assuming you're using Windows): go to your connection properties (on Vista/7/8 it's via Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings -> Right Click -> Properties; on XP it's via Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right Click -> Properties). Then, click on "Configure", and somewhere on the "Advanced" tab you should be able to see the Jumbo Frames option.

The adapter configuration page can also be directly accessed through the "Device Manager" interface.

Sadly, I don't know how to get that info or set the option on Linux.

2) How to check if Jumbo Frames are being used: from my experience, I've been able to see a small to medium bump in transfer speeds (big sequential file moves) when using Jumbo Frames when everything is working correctly. If you need to be more technical, you'll need something like Ethercap, or similar.

3) Does Gargoyle support Jumbo Frames: I'm assuming it should at least support it on the LAN ports of most, if not all, routers. On the WAN port it might not support it, but that shouldn't be a problem, since Jumbo Frames are probably unlikely to be supported by most ISPs. In any case, you might want to check if the router's chipset itself supports the function (smallnetbuilder is usually very thorough on that), and do a quick query on both the Gargoyle and OpenWRT forums to be sure.

Hope this helps!

Miguel