Need n00b help!

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

callsignapollo

Need n00b help!

Post by callsignapollo »

Hi all.

I've just bought myself a WRT54GL (AU), and a Linksys AM300 (DSL2+ modem). The first thing I did with the WRT54GL is put the "gargoyle_1.0.0-wrt54g-squashfs.bin" firmware file on it. No problem. I then upgraded to the "gargoyle_1.0.8-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx" firmware file. Once again, no problem.

What I'm having trouble is setting up network addressing for everything to run properly. My modem is setup as a DHCP server, it's address is 192.168.1.1 - the DCHP serving addresses starting from 192.168.1.2.

I've setup the WRT54GL as a gateway, and under Internet/WAN - I've selected DHCP (wired), which has a current IP of 192.168.1.2.

Under Local Network/WAN, I've set my router IP to 192.168.1.2. My subnet is 255.255.255.0. This works, I'm able to access the internet from connected PC's however - I can't find a way to set this up so that I will be able to reach my modem (either via the web browser, ping etc). That is issue number one.

Secondly - I've assigned a static IP address to my file server. This wasn't a problem. However, I use uTorrent on this PC and need to port forward to it. The static IP for this PC is 192.168.1.10 and I've confirmed that it is using this IP address. Under Firewall > Port Forwarding, I've created a rule that has protocol "both", from port "55001", to IP "192.168.1.10", to port "55001", enabled it and saved the settings. This unfortunately does not work (based on the uTorrent port test), and after a router reboot I'm still having the same issue. That is issue number two.

Is someone able to help me with these issues?

Thank you!

PS. I would like to say thank you for all the hard work that goes into this firmware, it's fantastic so far.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Need n00b help!

Post by Eric »

Your WAN IP should be different from your LAN IP (different subnets). Try setting your LAN IP to 192.168.2.1 (and note that all local hosts will then be 192.168.2.x vs 192.168.1.x), but they will then be able to differentiate between your router and your modem, and you should be able to access it.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

You really shouldn't have the modem setup as a dhcp server anyway - it can cause NAT issues... can you set it to bridged and use pppoe on the router?

callsignapollo

Post by callsignapollo »

Thank you for the replies.

Eric - your suggestion worked. I set my router IP to 192.168.1.1, and my modem IP to 10.1.1.1 which gave the Router a WAN IP of 10.1.1.2. I was able to access the modem page without a problem. However, port forwarding does not work.

Maniac - I've set the modem to bridge mode only, and the Router to PPPoE (wired). The internet works, and port forwarding works. I'm not able to reach my modem at all though, but the only reason I need to be able to access my modem is to check my sync speeds at line rates. Is there a way to do this via the router if it is set up this way?

Cheers,

callsignapollo

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Try and set one of your computers in the DMZ under
the firewall portion of Gargoyle config.

Then you should be able to browse to the 10.x range

You may have to fudge with IP settings on the computer and
also maybe remvove the gateway for a bit while checking
the modem.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

ghostknife

Post by ghostknife »

callsignapollo wrote: Maniac - I've set the modem to bridge mode only, and the Router to PPPoE (wired). The internet works, and port forwarding works. I'm not able to reach my modem at all though, but the only reason I need to be able to access my modem is to check my sync speeds at line rates. Is there a way to do this via the router if it is set up this way?
This is the correct behavior for bridged modem, this guide explains the process you have done, also some other things
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=814956

Usually you can't access the modem through the router, if the modem has more than one LAN port then you have to plug PC into that and reconfigure you PC IP manually to match the modem since DHCP is also not working on bridged modem. If it only has one LAN then you need to disconnect the router first.