2 Routers on the same network with IP conflicts

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

HolySafari

2 Routers on the same network with IP conflicts

Post by HolySafari »

Hi so I been using the WNDR3700 with gargoyle to control the bandwidth usage. but one of my housemates got a linksy router since i was not sharing my wireless and after he plugged it in I keep on getting the IP conflict message and the ip addresses that i made static under DHCP is being changed without me doing anything. The usual mac address with the static ip address is being used by him but i pinned it to another computer.
and sometimes when i try to access the router with 192.168.1.1 i get into his router with his password and username prompts
what can i do to get control back from his router?

mix

Re: 2 Routers on the same network with IP conflicts

Post by mix »

Nothing, you apparently have two dhcp servers within the same subnet, and one router is probably plugged into the lan port of the other, instead of the two being separated at the wan port. This is a stupid situation to be in. The best you could do is change the subnet of one router so the two don't match and assign your computer a static ip address. The two dhcp server problem will still screw everything up that isn't using a static ip though. This would require you disable the dhcp server on one of the routers, and would in effect making use two routers pointless... as it usually is.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

tals

Post by tals »

You could disable dhcp on one of the routers (preferably his) and assign the router with the disabled dhcp a fixed IP. Even then it could be complicated because you need to ensure you are correctly routing through the gateway.

Thinking about it if you are routing through your router you could set the mac address to be blocked for his router. If it is the other way round he has control.

Any reason why you wouldn't share your wireless, you had much more control until the current position.
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

HolySafari

Post by HolySafari »

it's not that i can't share it's that i didn't even know he wanted wireless
he just got a router for it anyhow i was able to go into his router and disable his dhcp will he still have wireless? will my router have control back now?

tals

Post by tals »

Which router is connected to the Internet? If yours then yes and no dhcp is a good thing and he can still in theory use his wireless. But better to persuade him to take it off and give him a key :)
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

HolySafari

Post by HolySafari »

lol ya after i disabled his dhcp on his router there is no more clashing ip address warning or disconnecting Internet. i will have to work on making him take it off completely :twisted: