OpenVPN or PPTP Passthrough

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

TheCodeMonk

OpenVPN or PPTP Passthrough

Post by TheCodeMonk »

First, Gargoyle is awesome. I tried X-Wrt and while it is very good, I was just put off by the complexity (and I'm an IT guy). This is just for home use and after dealing with crap all day the last thing I want to do is have to spend hours configuring a router. This did the job perfectly for me and it's easy to use. It worked right out of the box. Thanks!

Onto my issue. I need to have some form of VPN at home. I occasionally have to connect to my PC at home. I tried to install OpenVPN, but my router (WRT54G V2) runs out of space before installing all the packages. So, I tried to set up PPTP passthrough. I use Windows 7 RTM at home and the simple "incoming connections" thing would be fine for me even though it's pretty insecure. My PC is always turned off and I use the wake on lan function to wake it up. So security isn't huge issue for me in this. Alternatively, if PoPToP could be installed with MSCHAPV2 on the router, that would also be fine.

Anyway, what I did with PPTP passthrough was added protocol 47 to allowed and then forwarded to my PC, but for some reason it still wasn't working. Is there something special I need to do?