Block MAC Address Bug

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

SMGargoyle

Block MAC Address Bug

Post by SMGargoyle »

In DHCP Section when the option "Block MAC addresses assigned a static IP that connect from a different IP" is used, it stops working as soon as 2 or more Static IP entries are used below.

In other words it only seems to work for a single entry in the Static IP section.

Can anyone please advise how this can be fixed?

I am running 1.5.3 (same thing happens in 1.5.4) on WNDR3700v2

tals

Re: Block MAC Address Bug

Post by tals »

Can you advise what you mean by not working. I have this ticked and 15 ip addresses in the list and am not aware of problems. I have the same router as you and was on 1.5.3 before updating to 1.5.4 a screenshot of the screen could also help
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

SMGargoyle

Post by SMGargoyle »

Perhaps you have misunderstood me, the display of those entries is not the issue, the issue is that the setting "Block MAC addresses assigned a static IP that connect from a different IP" does not actually Block MAC addresses in a situation where more than 1 static entry is defined underneath it.

For example, I setup my laptop for a static ip entry and so long as the entry was there on its own the block mac settings works.

It works because when I tested it by setting my laptop with a static IP address that didn't match the Static IP entry in the router, my laptop stopped being able to access the internet until the IP was reverted back.

However, as soon as I have 2 or more entries in the static ip address section, ip address changes on the laptop (or any other device that is meant to be restricted) no longer block internet access.

Hope that explains it better..

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

I did some testing and cannot duplicate the problem. Rogue IPs are always blocked for me.

Tested on version 1.4.6 (broadcom)
15 fixed IPs assigned - outside of DHCP range
Tested a fixed IP both within and outside the DHCP range, both were blocked from internet (but not from local)

Kind Regards,
Mike

tals

Post by tals »

I'll test this tonight, my test will be the same as BM's I have the block IP so if I change the IP of my machine (which has a static IP) then I will expect to lose internet but still be able to access the LAN. I have around 15 static IP's set up

Will report back later

tals

Post by tals »

OK tested and agree with op.

Set ip to a value 192.168.1.47 (different from static), set dns to point at Googledns, gateway to the router

Everything continued to work

My IP was the first in the list, so I then removed and readded mine which placed it at the end. I then lost connection to the internet as would be expected

I then added another item to the end and my internet came back.

So at the moment my conclusion is this is broken and the only ip that is blocked if it tries to change the ip is the last in the list.

SMGargoyle

Post by SMGargoyle »

Thank you for the testing you carried out tals. Hopefully a gargoyle developer will help to resolve this bug. This bug is also present in 1.4.7

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

I checked and my fixed IP was in the middle of the list, not the last one.

Other factors maybe affecting this: My Gargoyle has a custom DNS configured, but not the option to force using it. Instead I have a firewall rule that blocks port 53 for restricted users, but exceptions (like my PC) can manually set a different DNS. I did not test yet on a restricted PC but would think it's likely to work ok since it works on my unrestricted PC.

Kind Regards,
Mike

tals

Post by tals »

I use the ISP DNS options and haven't forced it though possibly I should have :)

I'll try a custom one, I haven't any firewall rules at all.

tals

Post by tals »

OK unless I am missing something.

I have block mac addresses assigned a different ip checked. I have now set up custom dns servers and forced it (though for testing I tried without the force option). I can set the fixed ip either within the dhcp range or outside of the dhcp range (I specify a dns server in the ip settings of the pc) and in all cases my ip works when it shouldn't do.

Not set up a firewall rule, if you can send me a screenie of your one I can try that on the offchance but I think it's something deeper than this.

Note I rebuilt my settings after upgrade to 1.5.4 - not a restore so it's clean (if that's the right word :) )