Gargoyle obtain different DHCP WAN IP Adress than TP-LINK FW

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

SirLancelot1982

Re: Gargoyle obtain different DHCP WAN IP Adress than TP-LIN

Post by SirLancelot1982 »

Gargoyle 1.4.6 on TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND HW: 1.8:

*/ Status > Overview panel:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... le146.jpg/

*/ Connection > Basic panel:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... e1462.jpg/

TP-LINK Original Firmware:

*/ Status panel:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/tplinkfw.jpg/
All settings that I deleted from this screen are similar to Gargoyle settings on screens above. Only DNS are different:

192.168.1.82 <= This DNS is different and similar to my LAN router adress
194.204.159.1 <= This DNS is same as in TP-LINK Original Firmware
194.204.152.34 <= This DNS is same as in TP-LINK Original Firmware

Im not at home now and I can't get new screen with settings I deleted but this setting are the same as on screens that I give from Gargoyle. Second thing is that I don't want to change between Gargoyle and Original TP-LINK Firmware 100 times because I'm afraid of router damage with so many firmware changes from side to side.

My questions:
1/ I have internet from this operator since 1 year. My TP-LINK Firmware allways obtained WAN settings automatically and good without any manual changes in settings. Why Gargoyle couldn't do the same?!?

2/ To get internet connection with Gargoyle 1.4.6 (or even 1.5.3) I have to set up Custom MAC WAN because Gargoyle automatically sets same MAC Adress to WAN, LAN and Wireless. Original TP-LINK Firmware sets different WAN and LAN MAC Adress. Why Gargoyle do it different?

3/ If I set Custom WAN MAC Adress on Gargoyle to get internet connection my only hope to get this connection is that my Internet Operator will not change WAN MAC Adress. If He will change it I will have to guess or change Firmware to Original TP-LINK software to check what is current WAN MAC Adress because Gargoyle sets it different and wrong with DHCP Wired option. Am I right?

4/ What more information I should give here to get You enough information to give me info what is wrong with my WAN settings, my router or what?

I hope someone will tell me what to do to get my settings right. Gargoyle looks very stable for me and I don't want to go back to Original TP-LINK Firmware but I will have to if Gargoyle will be so manual with my WAN settings.
---

Best Regards

SirLancelot1982

#---#
ROUTER: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND
HW: 1.8
SW: Gargoyle 1.5.8
#---#

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

Your ISP properly only allows one device, that is why it will not allow access to another "mac address". If you had pressed "release" before upgrading to gargoyle, would it properly had worked.
Same thing can happen if you change to another router.
What you could try in Gargoyle is to press "Renew Lease Now", followed by removing the "use custom MAC..." and save the changes.
Then it should work right away.
The only way this would not work, would be if your ISP has a block of which devices get access to the internet. I know one ISP in Denmark, where they have a website that you need to visit, to get old devices removed (only two devices allowed).

You should remove 192.168.1.82 from your DNS list, as it is your router.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

It doesn't look like he has added a custom DNS address?

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

ispyisail wrote:
It doesn't look like he has added a custom DNS address?
Your correct, but still, as this IP address is the same as the router itself, should it either be removed from the list (setup the two others - or one of the DNS servers you can choose in the dropdownbox - through the custom DNS settings) or change the subnet of your private network instead.
this DNS setting could also be the reason why you do not have Internet access.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@hnl_dk

How do you think he is connected to the internet?

In NZ well really only have PPPoA so I don't really understand other set-ups

SirLancelot1982

1/ My ISP give my Internet Access by MAC filtering. I give them MAC Adress of my router to have Network Access. Question is why Original TP-LINK Firmware have default 54:E6:FC:AE:5C:41 and Gargoyle sets by default with DHCP Wired 54:E6:FC:AE:5C:40 same as LAN & Wireless MAC Adresses?

2/ If I make remove Custom WAN MAC and "Renew Lease Now" I will obtain WAN IP like 17?.???.???.??? and there is no way with that IP to have Internet Adress. I have only access to router settings. So it doesn't make any progress for me.

3/ DNS 192.168.1.82 appears automatically when I change WAN MAC Adress to 54:E6:FC:AE:5C:41, make "Renew Lease Now" and obtained right WAN IP settings.
Last edited by SirLancelot1982 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
---

Best Regards

SirLancelot1982

#---#
#---#

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

this DNS setting could also be the reason why you do not have Internet access.
That was my thoughts as well, but I don't fully understand his setup

SirLancelot1982

As I mentioned in earlier post:

3/ DNS 192.168.1.82 appears automatically when I change WAN MAC Adress to 54:E6:FC:AE:5C:41, make "Renew Lease Now" and obtained right WAN IP settings.

4/ I have a Internet Access when I use Custom WAN MAC with this 192.168.1.82 DNS enabled. Question is why I have to manually set WAN MAC Adress and why after "Renew Lease Now" it automatically add 192.168.1.82 into DNS list?
---

Best Regards

SirLancelot1982

#---#
#---#

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Can you SSH into your router and do a cut and paste for

Code: Select all

ifconfig

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

ispyisail wrote:@hnl_dk

How do you think he is connected to the internet?

In NZ well really only have PPPoA so I don't really understand other set-ups
In some parts of Europe ISPs simply have a DHCP server, where they grant you access to one or two devices.
If you are only allowed to have one device, and you want to connect a new router, you will need to release the DHCP lease (or wait until the lease is getting renewed - 10/02/12 23:06 CET).
There is no password you need to enter, you just plug-in your device and it is working.