*SOLVED* Problem: 1h then disconnects.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

daniel

*SOLVED* Problem: 1h then disconnects.

Post by daniel »

Hi! Since I switched from dd-wrt to gargoyle, I have had this problem that my network (as in net) connection disconnects, and then resumes. So for example streaming di.fm and playing nexuiz breaks.

First I thought it could be the TCP/UDP timeout. But it have to be the DHCP timeout.. right? How do I change the DHCP timeout on the WAN? :) Thing is, I have had the same ip for as long as I remember. but as I said before, it started behaving like this with gargoyle :/

Btw, while im at it, what is the recommended timeouts on TCP/UDP?
Atm, I have TCP: 360 / UDP: 180.

Thanks and free internets in advance!
Last edited by daniel on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Problem: 1h then disconnects.

Post by Eric »

There's a big button to renew your DHCP lease in the connection / basic section, but I doubt your problem is DHCP related. For one thing, most providers (you can't control the length of the lease -- this is the server's job) give leases much longer than one hour. Is it really regular? (i.e. can you set your watch by this disconnect, or is it just about an hour between resets?)

However... I don't have a whole lot of ideas about what might actually be going on either. I haven't heard of this problem before. I have a router with Gargoyle connected to my ISP that's working just fine -- nothing like what you describe.

If you install Gargoyle with the defaults (i.e. don't change anything) do you still see the problem, or is it only an issue after you've activated some additional feature? Also, what version are you running? Any additional details about your setup you'd care to add would be helpful as well.

daniel

Re: Problem: 1h then disconnects.

Post by daniel »

Hi. Yes it was dhcp related. I noticed the time when I pushed the "renew release now" button, and it said, current release expires (time in one hour). Which it was exactly.

I had not looked before in any configuration files and so on openwrt/kamikaze, however I, "solved", the issue by ssh to my router and doing the following:

Editing /etc/config/dhcp with vi and remove the lines for the wan.

Editing /etc/config/network and changing the section for the wan and setting the WAN values that I could find in the webinterface's status/overview:

Code: Select all

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'
        option 'dns' '66.88.99.2 222.111.3.60 60.111.90.100'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option ipaddr   55.222.111.222
        option netmask  255.255.200.0
        option gateway  88.220.100.1
Now my ip do not change every hour, it has not changed yet and that was.. I don't know. five hours or so ago. If I tried to just set it to static ip through the web interface, it just refused to connect to the net, and then I had to set it to dhcp again for the internet to work. So I did it this way. Strange, but it works now.

I'm running the 1.0.0 (Final) on a linksys wrt54gl, computers running linux of course :3