wifi startup issues on wrt54gl

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

smashon

wifi startup issues on wrt54gl

Post by smashon »

Hello all, having some trouble when rebooting my wrt54gl v1.1.
When rebooting the router it seems the wifi starts before other vital services. I rebooted the router and my computer reconnected automatically after a minute. The computer reported that it was connected to the internet so I tried going to a website. No response. The router responds to pings but I can't get on to the configuration page or SSH to it. After disconnecting from the box when its in this state I can't reconnect. However, if you leave it to load whatever necessary files for a minute after a reboot and then try to navigate to a page it works fine.
So my question to you is, can you delay the wifi startup while booting to allow the router to load all necessary files?
Thanks in advance!

mix

Re: wifi startup issues on wrt54gl

Post by mix »

What happens if you test this while connected directly to the lan with a ethernet cable?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

smashon

Post by smashon »

I've not been able to try (the isp cable and all network equipment is in a housemates room, she's starting to get annoyed when I'm in and out, doing power cycles!). I have however set it up for remote management, so I can access it from the subnet below (ie, 192.168.0.1).

My setup,

ISP Router-----WRT54GL- - - - - My PC
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
------ Wired
- - - -Wireless

So I can connect my pc wirelessly and directly to the ISP router and access the wrt through its WAN port and manage it that way, both GUI and SSH.

The whole problem happened again today when I changed a setting that required a reboot. It seems if i wait for the javascript "please wait, rebooting" message to go away, and for the router to reconnect, it cocks up. But if i close the page and wait for Windows to reconnect, then start a fresh, open firefox and go to 192.168.1.1, it works ok!

mix

Post by mix »

The closest thing I can think of is the order that modules are loaded, you can view this order by taking a look at /etc/modules.d/ directory. I am unsure of the consequences of changing the order (designated by the numbers) of some of these modules, especially "30-b43." I don't know exactly where the wifi interface is brought up either. Just because the module is loaded, doesn't mean you have a working wifi interface. Maybe one of the moderators here knows which script does this, where it is located, and when/how is loaded/unloaded/reloaded. Honestly, I am not really sure what you are talking about and if it's only a temporary problem while the router is first booting that resolves itself in a few seconds, I am not sure anyone besides yourself has really noticed it.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

smashon

Post by smashon »

Nope it's permanently screwed until I do a hard reboot. Its in its screwed state right now actually!

muskratsprings

Post by muskratsprings »

...I suspect your router is passing DHCP requests from the ISP router during bootup to your computer. Some time after your router boots up your computer finally gets the "right" IP from your router.

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/6819

frelesxy

Post by frelesxy »

How to connect wifi enable phone to a wifi modem? I am planning to buy a wifi enabled phone, I am bit confused here. How to connect my phone with wifi modem and do I need to power on my pc when I try to use wifi from my phone.