Save & Restore Quotas after FW Upgrade?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

NL2009

Save & Restore Quotas after FW Upgrade?

Post by NL2009 »

Hi Eric

Is there a way to save quota usage and restore it when one does a FW upgrade? The System backup/restore feature does not appear to include usage data.
Regards, Nigel

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Save & Restore Quotas after FW Upgrade?

Post by Eric »

That's odd, because the data should be backed up. I suspect the problem has something to do with the time being set properly. If ntpclient hasn't connected and the router thinks it's 1970, and tries to load the original quota data it will discard it as out of sync with the current time. Does it make any difference if you make sure the router is connected and make sure the date is set accurately before restoring from backup?

NL2009

Post by NL2009 »

Hi Eric

I made a fresh backup and then did a restore just to check that the basic backup/restore was working. The quotas were restored correctly.

I then updated the firmware to 1.0.3 (it was already 1.0.3) and was presented with the login screen and then the screen where you change the password and select the time zone. I selected the correct options and then did a restore configuration. The quotas are now reset back to zero!

I then made sure that I was able to browse the internet (I had to re-boot first). I checked the quotas and they were still zero. I then did a second restore of the same backup (the same file used previously) and the quotas are still all set to zero :( .

The ADSL router was connected to the internet throughout this series of tests.
Regards, Nigel

NL2009

Post by NL2009 »

Some good news - I was able to restore all of the quota information by transferring the quota_* files from the backup to /usr/data/quotas using pscp (I have a Windows machine ;) ).

I am not sure why this did not work for me - does anyone else experience this problem?
Regards, Nigel