Computername = username shared computer

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Algeorge

Computername = username shared computer

Post by Algeorge »

Hi I've just installed Gargoyle and found how well the quotas work.

My teenage girls share a computer which in one evening has used 10% of their quota! Unfortunately, apart from the computer identifier, there seems no way of getting different quota for different users.
Is there a method eg to change IP under Win 7 for different logged in users on same computer that anyone knows?
Thanks vm.
Alistair.
Last edited by Algeorge on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ispyisail

Re: Identification of different users on shared computer

Post by ispyisail »

interesting question

IP address are assigned per MAC address

If you had two network cards per machine then enable network adapter per user it might work.

I don't know if you can do that?

Algeorge

Re: Identification of different users on shared computer

Post by Algeorge »

Here is the answer - I have yet to try it:
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/wi ... string.htm
Towards the end of the article. Apparently easy to do on XP, a bit of a dog on Win7 but achievable, Ubuntu uknown.

ispyisail

Re: [solved]Computername = username shared computer

Post by ispyisail »

tell us if it works

Algeorge

Re: Computername = username shared computer

Post by Algeorge »

While I was fighting with regedit and win7 permissions, I suddenly realised that method will not work. Gargoyle picks up on the computername only when its online, but all records are saved in ip address. The method I suggest changes the computername per user, but its IP address remains constant; thus referring to gargoyle bandwidth usage will always refer to the current user with the same ip address.
Unless Gargoyle programmers decide to enable a combination of computername and/or ip address in reports then that user specific historic detail wont be vailable.
Alistair

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

you have made no mention of MAC address

IP address get assigned per MAC address

change the MAC address and get a new IP address

What you really require is a "captive portal". Captive portal is not a simple procedure and hence in include with gargoyle.

If you want I can list some open-source options but im not sure its a path you want to go down for such a basic operation.

The easiest solution to your problem is purchase a device per teenage girl :)

Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

ispyisail wrote:The easiest solution to your problem is purchase a device per teenage girl :)
But expensive option when the shared unit is a good piece of kit, which is happily shared (most of the time). If gargoyle logged the computername as well then that would suffice imho, if the computername changed each separate login of each daughter/user.

In reading similar threads (not gargoyle) there are several scenarios where businesses and private use want to know who is using quota. Its mentioned that users are sharing common computer so it is a situation not just limited to my use.
Thanks,
Al.

pharry

Post by pharry »

This is just an idea, I haven't tried it, but could you use a tool like this http://www.windowsreference.com/network ... -registry/ to change the MAC address at each login via a login script. This should give each user a new IP address and therefore you can track their usage.