Netgear WNDR3700 V2 - Slow internet after installing 1.5

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

frank604

Netgear WNDR3700 V2 - Slow internet after installing 1.5

Post by frank604 »

Hi,

I have a decent internet connection of 50mbits down so the slowness experienced is from the router.

I have a netgear wndr3700 v2. I downloaded gargoyle_1.5.0-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory-NA and flashed it through stock firmware -> admin -> update firmware

I live in Canada and bought this router in Canada as well.

Now that I browse, I have a lot of timeouts. Youtube now takes a minute or two to load. Used to be instantaneous. I went on speed test sites and my ping is 18ms and down and up speeds are on the dot. What is causing this?

Any pointers on where to start looking is most welcome. And no, this problem didn't exist with stock.

ispyisail

Re: Netgear WNDR3700 V2 - Slow internet after installing 1.5

Post by ispyisail »

Yep. there are some problem with 1.5.0, work in progress

I think 1.3.7 or some where around there is the most stable?

frank604

Post by frank604 »

Do i use the sysupgrade when i want to downgrade from 1.5 to 1.3*?

Edit: Also an update on the situation. I'm not sure what happened but I tried doing a normal reset on the router. Now everything loads as usual except there are infrequent loss of connection to the internet. Like I'll be playing a game online and lose internet for about a minute and then it'll reconnect fine after that minute.

mix

Post by mix »

All these internet timeouts you are noticing, are they occurring over wifi? Do they stop if you connect your computer directly with a Ethernet cable?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

wilsonn1996

Post by wilsonn1996 »

I have almost exactly the same issues. I can currently load a speedtest and get 15ms ping and 37mb down speeds, but then I will occasionally have problems when I cannot load a website because it times out, websites load extremely slowly etc and the speedtest may get <1mb if anything. I have reflashed the router, reset it and I have a clean install. This problem only occurs on wireless. Wired performance does not suffer in any way. I am connecting at 40mhz 300mbps.
Otherwise gargoyle is working great on my new router, other than some problems with access controls which I shall report in another thread!:)

frank604

Post by frank604 »

mix wrote:All these internet timeouts you are noticing, are they occurring over wifi? Do they stop if you connect your computer directly with a Ethernet cable?
The initial timing out occurred on both ethernet and wireless. Now the timeout issue has gone away after a regular reboot. Perhaps something needed to be dumped or rebooted to save changes? Not sure as I'm not technical.

The current issue now is that wireless stops working. Wireless devices can connect to router but there is no internet access. I have to reboot the router to get it working again. Other than that there are no big problems.