bricked WRT54GL 1.1

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

flopplop

bricked WRT54GL 1.1

Post by flopplop »

Hi guys i recent tried to upgrade my gargoyle 1.4.0 to 1.4.3 using trx via web gui and it bricked with power lights flashing. i was able to flash it back to stock firmware via tftp.

after that i tried to upgrade to gargoyle 1.4.3 again via squashfs.bin and it bricked again. this time witha solid power light but 192.168.1.1 cannot be accessed. no ping repsonse unless i use static ip 192.168.1.2 (TTL = 64)
But tftp no longer works! keeps saying connect request failed and i tried power cycling thw device and starting tftp to no avail.

Did hard reset. no dice. I am however able to get into telnet in fail safe mode and did mtd -r erase rootfs_data.. rebooted and nothing happened.

I want to flash via telnet but wget doesnt work as there is no internet connection only ping response. i am out of ideas....save me!

DoesItMatter

Re: bricked WRT54GL 1.1

Post by DoesItMatter »

What OS are you using to try and recover?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Re ... _Bad_Flash

Is still valid and works, no matter what firmware.

If you are trying to recover via a Windows Vista or Windows 7 machine,
you may need to try another machine.

Vista and 7 have an upgraded TCP/IP stack and it makes it very hard
to catch the TFTP window on routers.

Windows XP is much easier.

Or you may have to place a switch in between the router
and the computer to keep the ethernet port active on the computer.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

mix

Re: bricked WRT54GL 1.1

Post by mix »

The web interface doesn't work for flashing the WRT54GL for whatever reason. I wish Eric would just disable it. If wget doesn't work/isn't available in failsafe (you can always use the web server on your own computer, every recent version of windows has one built in, and you are obviously still able to get on the internet and post these messages, so my guess is that you can download the file and host it locally just fine), you could also try scp if you are running linux. There are plenty of ways to still do this, so don't give up.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt ... m.failsafe
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7