Quotas just on WAN port?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tolax

Quotas just on WAN port?

Post by tolax »

Currently I am running DD-WRT on an Linksys WRT150N v1.1. The unit is running as an AP with the WAN port configured as an additional switch port (this connect to the main 'WAN' router - DIR-655).

All has been running well but I've recently connected a slingbox to one of the switch ports and this is streaming out to the internet. Due to my providers bandwidth caps I want to limit both daily and monthly total transfer rates on this device. (5Gb per day, 50Gb per month would be ideal).

After much internet searching I found this firmware which would seem to do exactly what I need. :D After reading the forums though one thing that was not clear to me was...

1) Are the bandwidth quotas only relevant to WAN traffic or do they also cover traffic between local hosts? In my scenario I need to limit local host traffic only. IP is fixed on the Slingbox

While I'm here.....

1) I noticed that there is a prebuilt image for the WRT150N (hurrah). Should I flash the WRT150N back to linksys firmware before applying or should I be able to flash directly?

2) Can the software assign the WAN port to be used as an additional switch port (no issue if not)?

Thanks

Tolax

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Quotas just on WAN port?

Post by Eric »

While there is an image for WRT150N, I haven't actually tested for this device (I don't own one), and haven't heard any reports one way or the other from anyone who has. The firmware file should theoretically work, but it would be great if you could confirm this.

Quotas do apply only to WAN traffic. I have trouble understanding why you need quotas for local traffic, however. This shouldn't cost you anything, and in any case the majority of all traffic is likely to be through the WAN (to the internet), which will get counted.

You can use the WAN as a switch port, but currently this feature only becomes available in the GUI if you're using wireless interface as the WAN. I should probably allow enabling it if the WAN is just disabled, but haven't gotten around to it.

tolax

Post by tolax »

I suspected it would only be on the wan port. NP I suspect mine is not a common requirement. My internet to slingbox route is.

Internet-->
Comcast Cable Modem -->
WAN Port Dlink DIR-655 -->
Switch Port 3 DLink DIR-655--> (50m CAT-6 run)
WAN Port Linksys WRT150N-->
Switch Port 2 Linksys WRT150N-->
Slingbox

The only reason that the WRT150N connects on the WAN port is that the DD-WRT allows me to use it as an additional switch port. The rational for this config is that I run two AP's for better coverage in-house. The TV cable connection just happens to be conveniently near the second AP hence the placement of the Slingbox.

Just to be ensure that I am not missing terminology here. When you are talking about 'local traffic' do you mean localized subnet traffic or (as I suspect) local physical switch ports on the WRT150N?

I do not need of course to limit traffic communicating within the 192.168.1.X subnet. What I'm trying to do I guess is limit the traffic going to any other subnet irrespective of which LAN port it left on.

Hopefully this makes the requirement somewhat less 'muddy'

Thanks for the quick response. :)

Tolax

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Sounds like you want to use the WRT150N as a switch, but the DIR-655 as a gateway. Gargoyle is really designed to function as gateway, not a switch/bridge. Even though you can configure Gargoyle as a switch/bridge, you lose a lot of features including quotas. Using quotas assumes that you have an ethernet port (or a wireless interface) configured as a WAN.

My suggestion: Use the WRT150N with Gargoyle as the gateway, and the DIR655 as a switch (swap the order they are in). That way you can configure Gargoyle as a gateway and enable quotas as you want.