Wifi 2.4ghz mode, only G+N or N, c2600 and r7800

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ActionHenk

Re: Wifi 2.4ghz mode, only G+N or N, c2600 and r7800

Post by ActionHenk »

Thanks, the thing is i like gargoyle because of it's interface and it has everything i need. Openwrt it's interface is kinda overwhelming for me, well that was some time ago. Maybe i will try openwrt sometime.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

I'm wondering whether this is because all recent OpenWrt's default to the Candelatech ath10k wifi drivers and firmware (usually referred to as "ct" vs the Qualcomm OEM which is often referred to as "non-ct"), which I think started after the 18.06 release that was the base for Gargoyle 1.12. While the "ct" versions work well for most purposes, they are known to be problematic for some people and devices - which probably includes your ESP boards...

For both 1.14 and the 1.15 beta both the default "ct" and OEM "non-ct" wifi driver and firmware packages are built for the targets that use them so you can change to the "non-ct" packages - see this OpenWrt forum post for the outline of how to do this (however use gpkg instead of opkg!). Note that the C2600 has different wifi driver and firmware packages from the R7800 so you'll need to check what's already installed to determine what to replace it with; likewise the C7 (but don't try changing anything if it's a v1 as that only has 8MB of flash).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

An excellent suggestion!
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Thanks guys,

I've been reading a bit through the topic and it sounds like an interresting option that could be the source of my problems. I have to read and learn a bit more about removing and installing packages but it seems this is doable for me. I could test this on another router first, i think there is no chance in bricking is there? (at least not more then normal) and if i brick, i've got some serial programmers and the hardware page on openwrt wiki at hand.

If i am right the openwrt abandoned the non ct driver and firmware because of a part of it (the blob) isn't open source, where as the ct is as whole open source.

I guess the opkg stands voor openwrt package, and gpkg stands for gargoyle package?

Thank you guys.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

ActionHenk wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 am
I could test this on another router first, i think there is no chance in bricking is there?
Worst case just replacing the WiFi packages is that you lose access via WiFi. If you save your config prior to the change, the easiest recovery stragegy is to ssh in (via ethernet) and run firstboot which will reset the device to it's initial flashed state (same as a "factory reset") from which you can restore the config.
ActionHenk wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 am
If i am right the openwrt abandoned the non ct driver and firmware because of a part of it (the blob) isn't open source, where as the ct is as whole open source.
No, the source status of both sets of packages is the same; OpenWrt changed to the "ct" set because Candelatech were actively maintaining those packages while Qualcomm weren't anywhere near as responsive to maintenance issues.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Thanks, for now i have a very stable working network and i finally can use the full bandwidth over wan!

I guess injecting the non ct drivers is a new project for when i have spare time again! Thanks everyone for helping me out!