Advice Requested

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Lindsey

Advice Requested

Post by Lindsey »

Advice Requested as to which hardware to purchase that guarantees a successful deployment with Gargoyle with zero hassle?

I am attracted to the Gargoyle project because of its apparent ease of use. Most importantly I am in great need of reasonable access restrictions which encompass specific PC(s) with their own specific time of day and website restrictions. Looking at the GUI samples it seems that Gargoyle has the features I am after.

What I don’t have currently is a lot of time to hassle and debug anything. I am desperate for a turn-key solution. In the future as time permits I would like to hack on it.

Can you please recommend a hardware router that is most likely to offer me the greatest road to success? It does not even need to have wireless features as I currently have a draft-n router which works great and I like the speed. Like I said I am in desperate need of a good way to restrict network access which is the motivating factor for me. I am assuming that if you recommend a wireless router I can simply turn off its radio.

Please, suggestions?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
pool cue
cue sticks
billiards supplies
poison cue

Manook

Re: Advice Requested

Post by Manook »

I just purchased a Netgear WNDR3700v2 and put 1.4.0 on (dont use 1.4.1 as QOS doesnt work due to a minor bug). No problems at all, works on dual band for wireless and is very easy to use.

Came from a Draytek 2820n and the performance of this is so much better.

Also the wireless n on the WNDR3700 wireless range is alot better than my Netgear DGN2000, Draytek 2820n and Edimax access point.

You could use this instead with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Walton

Post by Walton »

Loading Gargoyle onto a 3700 is very easy.

Download the file and upload it to the router via the Netgear interface.

KingViper

Post by KingViper »

Agreed. My WNDR3700 is the bee's knees.

Urgje

Post by Urgje »

Netgear WNDR3700v2 with Gargoyle version 1.4.0 is running great here. The original firmware is crap, and I came close to sending it back, but now I'm very happy with it. So absolutely a good choice!
Urgje (Netgear WNDR3700v2 / Gargoyle 1.4.7)
[my ego shrank while growing up]

Grendel99

Post by Grendel99 »

Hi, I have been using a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND for several months now. Very easy to flash with the Gargoyle firmware and I have several devices accessing the internet via ethernet and wifi connections. I am currently using 1.3.16 firmware and works great for me. :D