Total Bandwidth Usage bug

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

NL2009

Total Bandwidth Usage bug

Post by NL2009 »

Hi Eric

I decided to list this as a separate topic since it may have been lost in the original thread. See the attached screen-capture of the Total Bandwidth Usage that I did yesterday and today. The strange thing is that the start date is now earlier than the date when I loaded the new firmware (24/5/2009).
Bandwidth 2008-05-28.png
Bandwidth 2008-05-28.png (6.02 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
Bandwidth 2008-05-29.png
Bandwidth 2008-05-29.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
Regards, Nigel

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Total Bandwidth Usage bug

Post by Eric »

I haven't forgotten about this -- I recall your original post in the other thread. The bug is proving... very annoying to correct, but I think I've almost got it.

It has to do with time again. I'm pretty sure the bug shows up only if you've switched the time zone on your router, after install. Obviously, this is something everyone does, and it needs to be corrected as soon as possible, and I'm working on it. This is currently my top priority.

However, a quick & dirty workaround may be to do what I suggested in the other thread -- wipe the bandwidth data using the commands listed -- after you've set the timezone (and have no intention of resetting it).

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

This should now be fixed, or at least the case that was causing most of the problems should be fixed. There are several more unusual situations that may cause similar problems, but the most common has been addressed. I'll try to correct the rarer cases of this issue over the next week or two. This is one of those situations where correcting a couple of small, relatively rare cases takes a LOT of effort (and a lot of really ugly code), but it's necessary to make the program work right.

New firmware has been uploaded.

uncle john

Post by uncle john »

I've got the bleeding_edge version installed on a WRT54GL and was getting set to test the Quota feature when I noticed I can't change Time Zone away from UTC+00:00.
Is this intentional?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Sure you can. Go to System/Time. You can set the timezone to whatever is appropriate there, as well as specify what NTP servers to use and how often to update.

uncle john

Post by uncle john »

Yep that is what I did but it wouldn't save the changes. Don't know what is going on here. I changed the router firmware from CoovaAP (whiterussian) to Gargoyle (kamikaze) yesterday and I noticed that after the change a few CoovaAP artifacts remained around the place (e.g. Coova favicons on brower tabs etc.).
After leaving the Gargoyle AP switched off overnight and today accessing it from another PC everything seems OK. Phew what a relief I wasn't looking forward to re-building the thing from scratch.
So the changes can be saved OK now.
Thanks for reply. :)

Post by sticky »

Hi
I did what you suggest re deleting the bandwidth data but after 2 days its back to reporting usage from 4 days ago when I deleted it all 2 days ago. Timezone is correct and unchanged all this time. Yesterday (28/6) it reported data for 27/6 today its reporting data from 25/6 and the figures given are nothing like the actual figure reported from my isp logs.
S

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

What version are you using? This bug was fixed in a fairly recent bleeding edge update.

Post by sticky »

Eric wrote:What version are you using? This bug was fixed in a fairly recent bleeding edge update.
Its pretty recent bleeding edge , downloaded around 20 June.
S

NL2009

Post by NL2009 »

It appears that the usage log also grows "backwards" in time. Each day the log start date also goes back one day... weird!

The quotas appear to be correct, so I had not noticed this bug.
Regards, Nigel