Unable to Edit Access Restrictions

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dan

Unable to Edit Access Restrictions

Post by Dan »

I flashed easily using the GUI from DDWRT on a WRT54GL using the Latest 1.0.0.5beta .bin file.

I'm interested in using Access Restrictions to control Internet Access so once I sorted out the basic Router Functions I entered one timed Restriction rule followed by one timed Exception (White List) and saved them

Every time I attempt to edit either rule another window opens up which may contain the correct saved rules but is not visible for long enough to confirm. This is replaced by a smaller window with no criteria entered at all.

I have tried rebooting the router and using different Browsers to try and edit:- IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari but no luck.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Edit Access Restrictions

Post by Eric »

There are a few problems with access restrictions in beta5, but they have been fixed in the latest bleeding edge firmware, available in the download section. I highly recommend that you upgrade. You should be able to flash your router with the .trx file.

However... I haven't heard of a problem that sounds like what you describe. The fixed issues relate to timing of the restrictions, but this sounds more like a GUI issue. The fast resizing of the window you describe takes place because when the window is initialized it has controls for all possible criteria, but a lot of them get hidden when they assume their default values. What this probably means is that your rule didn't get saved properly... but I have no idea why. Are you sure you hit the save button after you hit the add button?

I'll see if I can replicate this tonight, but I think I would have noticed an issue as dramatic as what you describe.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I just tested, and I don't see this error with the latest bleeding-edge firmware.

If you upgrade and still have problems, please post very specifically what rule you defined that is not working. It's possible there is a bug somewhere that only applies to rules with certain criteria.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

I have a different problem with editing access restrictions. There's no scroll bar so if things go off the window, there's no way to save changes... :mrgreen:

Edit: I could scroll down by tabbing using the keyboard, but scrollbars would be nice. I think I never noticed this before because I used to have a taller screen.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Having Loaded the bleeding edge firmware.trx file I have found the Edit now works.

My fault for not realising that the bleeding edge firmware was the fixed version.

The Block Rule for Internet Access and the subsequent Allow Rules I am using WORK IN CLIENT MODE first time , though they need further checking to see if they will continue to operate in a busy Wireless environment, which I am unable to test at present.

I'm Very Happy now since the bleeding edge firmware seems to be working exactly as I expect it to work. :D

I'm just hoping my settings for Client etc will survive my subsequent power Cycle Now!

Many Thanks

Dan

Post by Dan »

After I Power Cycled the Router used as a Bridge, even though the settings were still present :D the Router did not Automatically re-connect to the AP. :(

I had to Return to the Connection-Basic page and save changes again to force a reconnection.

silvia15

Post by silvia15 »

hi Eric & Dan...

I still got problem to make this work...

No matter i put an IP ( ie: 192.168.1.120 ) into restriction exception

or

I put it into white list....

It will all block the internet access of 192.168.1.120....

How to do guys set it up to only allow certain specific IPs to get access?

my hardware is wrt54gl v1.1
and firmware upload procedure is
tomato->Gargoyle->bleeding edge...

Cheers,

*EDIT*
sorry ..my bad...i found it now, this is a firewall option..not a access control option...

still, is there anyway allow only some specific IP can get internet access??
eg: if some one set a static ip and he can get rid off the quota control...
so if there is any way to set some specific ip can get access?

Dan

Post by Dan »

My Example is:-

Firewall- Access Restriction-RULE APPLIES TO:- ONLY THE FOLLOWING HOSTS-192.168.2.1/24

Exceptions (WhiteList) - Exception Applies to 192.168.2.80/28

This Allows access to a range of IPs covered by 80/28 ( Again I need to check)

For just one IP eg 192.168.2.22

Here is an IP/Mask Caculator http://jodies.de/ipcalc

silvia15

Post by silvia15 »

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the hint...it works :)

cheers,

Dan

Post by Dan »

Hello Silvia15,
Can you amplify what is the "Hint".
It well help others when they come to try and use Access Restrictions?
I'm lucky that Access Restrictions seem to function in a way that I am used to? :D