Wired DHCP failing to renew

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

doritos

Wired DHCP failing to renew

Post by doritos »

I'm using a WR1043ND on a site with a cable connection. So the router needs to be set as DHCP Client on WAN and receive a valid IP address from the cable modem.

If I turn the cable modem off and on again, the router gets the IP address and everything works as expected, but if I soft-reset the router (ie, go to web admin and reset), it never gets the IP address. To make the connection work again, I need to manually reset the cable modem too. The WAN IP address does not change (it has a 24hrs lease time).

Other sites with PPPoE do not suffer from this problem. BTW, PPPoE has additional options to force reconnection and DHCP does not.

Any advice in how to get this working automatically?

pbix
Developer

Re: Wired DHCP failing to renew

Post by pbix »

Possibly a problem with your modem in that it will only allow one IP address at a time to be issued between resets.

You might try with your computer directly connected to your modem and see what happens if you restart your computer. Also, you might install Wireshark on that computer and confirm that Gargoyle is sending the DHCP requests and the modem is not responding.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

doritos

Re: Wired DHCP failing to renew

Post by doritos »

Thank you, I'll try other routers/firmwares to see if it's related to cable modem