Version 1.3.15

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Version 1.3.15

Post by Eric »

caeci11ius: your original post indicated the troubles you were having were only there when QoS is active. Was the packet loss only present with QoS, or were you seeing it with QoS disabled too?

This may help me replicate (and fix) the issue.

mix

Post by mix »

Eric, is there any relationship between bufferbloat and eth or wlan txqueuelen in 1.3.15? Should these values really be 1000 by default?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Well, that's a bit embarrassing.

So my problems were caused by a combination of MTU being too large for PPPoE (1492 is max) and me tinkering with things while I was trying to fix them. Turns out my modem is not very good when it's not in bridged mode, and when heavily stressed (torrents etc) drops lots of packets...I put it into half bridged mode for a while as I'd got sick of putting in the authentication details and also wanted to use PPPoA if possible as you can get an extra 0.5% performance due to reduced overheads).

Have now reduced MTU to 1454 for best PPPoE performance (see http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/ADSL_Theory_PPP) and my page loading problems have gone away. Put modem back into bridge mode and packet loss has gone too.

Thought going back to 1.3.13 had fixed issues before, but turns out I just wasn't stressing it hard enough to produce packet loss. Same with my original thoughts about QoS issues...problem was more than likely just what I was doing at the time I saw the issue appear...

Wondering why I didn't have the strange page loading difficulty until recent versions as it looked like MTU was defaulting to 1500 before? I'd go check it out with older versions, but I don't remember having troubles until 1.3.14. Perhaps my ISP changed something, but it'd be interesting to know if anything changed in relation to this in Gargoyle/OpenWRT upstream?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

caeci11ius: Thanks for for following up and letting me know what happened. I had trouble reproducing the error, but it had me worried given the upcoming release.

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

No worries Eric, & thanks by the way for putting out such a great bit of firmware. Might be an idea to default MTU to 1492 where PPPoE mode is selected...most routers seem to do it that way. 1454 would be the other good option as it avoids wasting bytes on the line. Also will avoid issues like I had above with pages failing to finish loading where packets were too big and were dropped by routers along the way...

demetris

Post by demetris »

Hi,
When i change my Channel width to 40Mhz i cannot connect.
I get no wireless ssid, is like i disable wireless!
I have it on all 1.3.xx on 1043nd 1.7

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Demetris, try changing the channel down/up one if you are in 5ghz band. In 5ghz, you may only use certain channel pairs. Gargoyle uses ht+ mode, so always channel above in addition to the one you select. With 5ghz mode, this means illegal channel pairs are displayed...I think I reported this somewhere else for another version (1.3.14?) but I guess Eric hasn't had a chance to look at it yet...

Otherwise, if that isn't helping (from memory that router may be 2.4ghz only and above point irrelevant) try logging in with ssh and typing "wifi". This will restart the wireless card and produce errors if something is wrong. If you tell me what it says I can perhaps tell you how to fix it...

demetris

Post by demetris »

root@Gargoyle:~# wifi
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
Could not set channel for kernel driver
Interface initialization failed
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
root@Gargoyle:~#
Router is only 2.4ghz and this only happens when i put 40Mhz.
When i have 20Mhz wifi:

Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 12:34:56:78:23:45 and ssid 'Gargoyle'

So is a driver issue?

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

demetris wrote:root@Gargoyle:~# wifi
Could not set channel for kernel driver
Interface initialization failed
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
root@Gargoyle:~#
Router is only 2.4ghz and this only happens when i put 40Mhz.
When i have 20Mhz wifi:

Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 12:34:56:78:23:45 and ssid 'Gargoyle'

So is a driver issue?
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... ?f=6&t=979

Read through that thread.

Try to use the "noscan" option

Then see if you can enable 40mhz mode.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

demetris

Post by demetris »

Thanks but i dont know how i will do this.
There isnt an option on the gui.
Isnt this a bug needs fixing? Eric?