2 Things

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Re: 2 Things

Post by Eric »

The upgrade utility is only broken in beta1 for broadcom routers, so be aware these instructions only apply to those devices.

The easiest way to upgrade is to use scp to copy the .trx file (NOT the router specific file) and then connect to your router with ssh. If you're on windows use PuTTY -- it has ssh/scp/sftp functionality. Your ssh password is the same as the web admin password. Then run the following command: "mtd -r write gargoyle_1.0.0_beta2-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx linux" and wait a while. The router should then reboot automatically, and you should be upgraded.

Again, let me apologize for letting this bug slip in. I understand how issues with the upgrade utility might cause significant problems and frustration.

ifican

Post by ifican »

Ok overall great work, just a note for anyone needing to do this. Connecting sftp did not work had to use scp. The router rebooted after about 15 seconds but did not come back up. I did a hard reset after several minutes ( i would recommend waiting at least 5) the router booted very fast and works like a champ via beta-2. Also note that this will clear all of your setting. Thanks Eric....

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

I might have encountered a similar issue with the gui. I was playing with the web monitor page when suddenly it didn't seem to work any more. I could toggle the checkbox and save changes, but if I leave the page and come back, it always shows enabled, but the webmon isn't actually working, since it's not logging any pages.

'ps' showed that webmon wasn't running. When I started webmon it all worked again.

(Beta 2)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ok, I will look into this. It would help if you could be more specific about what you were doing when it stopped working. Did you save a specific configuration after which it died, or were you just playing with the controls when it died? If it died after you saved a specific configuration, what configuration was it? Also, how many web pages was it configured to save -- the default of 300, or more? If you increased the number too high, it's possible the program crashed when it ran out of available memory. I know you probably don't know, but if there is a series of configuration changes that you can use to consistently replicate the problem, that would be ideal.

In any event, I will definitely try to figure out what's going on, though if I can't replicate the problem debugging it will be difficult.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

(Resurrecting an older thread...)

Because I was rebooting the router so often while figuring out my PPPoE problem, I noticed that the web monitor doesn't always start when the router boots.

If it didn't run, I could start it up by manually toggling it in the GUI off and then on again. The number of web pages saved is at the default 300.

Is there a log or something I could check its status?

Sorry but not being more helpful, but it seems to be completely random. :oops:

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ok, I finally found and fixed the problem. The fix has been commited to the svn (r118), and I have also uploaded ipk packages that include this fix, if you want to try it. You can install gargoyle packages using the instructions found in the install guide.

I'm sorry I took so long to get around to fixing this. Even though I didn't get around to addressing this issue for a while, I want to thank you for reporting bugs when you find them -- I really appreciate the feedback. I try to test everything, but bugs inevitably slip in.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

Thanks, the webmon startup problem appears to be fixed.

BTW, is firmware uploading fixed after beta1? It didn't seem to work with beta3 either. (WRT54GL)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Yes, firmware upgrading was fixed in beta2 and should still be fixed. Could you report exactly what problems you're encountering?

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

Hi, the upgrade problem was user error. Kamikaze only allows flashing trx files and I was incorrectly using the bin file. Since Gargoyle doesn't check for the error, it displays the "Upgrade in Progress" page, and nothing happens in the GUI. Oops... :oops: