Bandwidth & QoS

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

TiMoxD

Bandwidth & QoS

Post by TiMoxD »

I've been using Gargoyle since March 2nd, and it's working perfectly, but I have an issue with my bandwidth monitor, and setting up QoS.

1st question (bandwidth):
When I display the bandwidth usage by month, it doesn't give me correct readings.

While when I display it by days, when I add the days up, it's actually correct. (I compared it with the ISP website)

Is that because the month hasn't finished yet, or is there some type of setting I've messed up?

2nd question (QoS):
My download speed is 1640Kbps (max reading was 1800Kbps), while upload is around 600Kbps. I want to setup QoS, as when a device starts downloading, internet becomes technically unusable for other devices. Unfortunately I also deleted my default settings for QoS when I tried to set it up a few days ago, and I can't reset the router config as I don't want to lose my bandwidth usage data this month.

My aim with QoS is just to prevent any device to take 100% of the speed with downloading. No gaming, no devices of higher priority, .... etc.

denisr

Re: Bandwidth & QoS

Post by denisr »

Good afternoon, it is very easy to configure a static ip in the dhcp for each computer and by means of quotas you restrict the speed of each computer and you will not have any more problems with slow internet.

What router do you have?

TiMoxD

Post by TiMoxD »

I've got an archer C60 v2. I understand how to setup a quota and static IPs with DHCP, but what about the QoS?

If one still got GBs in the quota, he's downloading stuff within his quota but my internet is slow till he finishes the download?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I need time to come back to you on Bandwidth monitoring.
For QoS, you want a setup like so:
Download Classes
1. VoIP, 1%, min 80, max 200, MinRTT
2. Fast, 80%
3. Slow, 1%
4. Normal, 18%

Download Rules
Default Class, 3
1. Src Port 80, Max ConnBytes 1024, Class 4
2. Src Port 443, Max ConnBytes 1024, Class 4
3. Src Port 80, Class 2
4. Src Port 443, Class 2
5. Src Port 53, Class 2

Upload Classes and Rules
Exactly the same as download, but switch Src for Dst
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

TiMoxD

Post by TiMoxD »

Alright so I've got another question about QoS.

When I try to set up a new quota and use the option:
(When exceeded: throttle bandwidth)

it doesn't allow me to type in a speed limit as before. Instead, it gives me the option to choose a QoS class.

So what I've done, I've edited your classes as follows:
1. VoIP, 1%, min 80, max 200, MinRTT
2. Fast, 80%
3. Slow, 1%
4. Normal, 17%
5. Quota, max 500, 1%
(where 500 kbps is the speed I need to throttle to)

Is this setup correct? I did the same to upload .....

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes that’s perfectly fine if you want to enforce that top speed.
The other method would be setting them to the slow class, which will give them full speed when no one else is using anything, but drop them to 1% of available bandwidth if the link is saturated.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

-taz-

Post by -taz- »

Hi, How can I change congestion control from TCP to bbr?
Does layer 7 work? "only for NTP"

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

BBR: Not something anyone here can answer.
L7: no.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

For the bandwidth monitoring issue, I suspect this is caused by a race condition around ipv6. I’ve fixed this in an upcoming version.