Wifi on/off cron job

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

victor

Wifi on/off cron job

Post by victor »

Hello,

I've got one question about wifi on/off cron job. In openwrt configuration I've made two sh executables which I've called at specific time from cron job. In openwrt is possible manipulate with wifi trough uci.
It looked this way:

wifidisable:
#!/bin/sh
uci set wireless.@wifi-device[0].disabled=1
wifi

wifienable:
#!/bin/sh
uci set wireless.@wifi-device[0].disabled=0
wifi

I think that Gargoyle is way much better than openwrt for generic configuration but i would really like to manage wifi with cron job.

So is there any simple way to do this? At night i would like to turn off wifi and turn it back on in the morning.

Thank you!

Zmago

ultrawires

Re: Wifi on/off cron job

Post by ultrawires »

Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh
Gargoyle 1.3.15

If you're familiar in the busybox shell you can add the required crontab entries.
Mine is as follows;

30 6 * * * /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
00 23 * * * /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 down

The two entries will turn the wifi on at 6:30am and off at 11:30pm everyday.

If you're not that familiar, let me know and I'll try to write up a detailed step-by-step.

Edit: When wifi is down the wifi LED remains lit. Or search this forum for the instructions to "correct" the leds.

deebiyaa

Re: Wifi on/off cron job

Post by deebiyaa »

What phones has wifi built on it and can have a laptop connect to the wifi on phone? Basically what phone is the wifi itself and can allow a computer or laptop to connect to that wifi on the phone?