Bandwidth caps by ip address group

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

christopher123457

Re: Bandwidth caps by ip address group

Post by christopher123457 »

Hey Lantis,

I was planning to change the gargoyle to the 192.168.2.x range. Will DMZ not pass through that way?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the purpose of DMZ. Can all my.routers and the modem be on the same subnet with DMZ set up?

christopher123457

Hey Lantis,

I was planning to change the gargoyle to the 192.168.2.x range. Will DMZ not pass through that way?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the purpose of DMZ. Can all my.routers and the modem be on the same subnet with DMZ set up?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

They must be on separate subnets.
The modem doesn't know who owns 192.168.2.x (unless you set up a static route).
The WAN side of Gargoyle sits in the modems subnet (192.168.1.x) and the LAN side will sit in 192.168.2.x

Imagine the modem gives gargoyles WAN port 192.168.1.100
DMZ says that for any incoming connection on any port, send it straight to 192.168.1.100, it will know what to do with it, and I know who that is because it's in my subnet.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

christopher123457

Hey Lantis,

Thanks for that info.

So, when I set gargoyle up, I should set give it a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x range, and set that as my DMZ destination, correct?

From there, how do I subnet the LAN side of gargoyle?

Also, (probably a stupid question here) is the wireless part of garoyle attached to the LAN side?

Thanks so much dude. I am eternally grateful for the knowledge youre providing. Last time I set up dd-wrt I had a heck of a time by myself with three access points running from 1 switch.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The static IP should be set from the modem side, but if that isn't possible then setting it from Gargoyle should still work.

You can see in this screenshot (https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/li ... ateway.jpg) that the WAN side is set (via DHCP) to the 192.168.88.x subnet, and the LAN side is set to 192.168.10.x subnet.
That's it, very simple :)

Yes wireless is LAN, unless you are using it for WAN.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

christopher123457

Hey Lantis,

I was reading a little bit about DMZ, and some common concerns were security involving the DMZ host(my modem). Do I need to worry about security issues with the DMZ set up?

I would be activating DMZ on my modem, sending to the gargoyle router.

Thanks so much!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

DMZ if set up incorrectly is an inherent security risk as you're openly accepting all ports from the internet onto a device.
If that device does not have its own firewall or appropriate way of filtering traffic, that would be very bad.

Gargoyle has its own firewall (being a router) of course, so you're fine :)

christopher123457

Thanks! You rock!

christopher123457

Update:

This set up is working fantastic thus far. I am excited to see how it plays out over the first month being installed. I will report back any problems I have an the solutions if possible.

Thanks again!

christopher123457

Hey Lantis,

I have been using Gargoyle effectively and have been extraordinarily satisfied thus far. It makes my life easy when its working. I have noticed a problem, that may be specific to my router, and I'm willing to buy another compatible router you recommend if you believe it is the routers problem.

Router: linksys wrt1900ac, running gargoyle.

Where i live there are frequent power outages, 1-3 a month, and sometimes the gargoyle system reverts itself back to the factory Linksys firmware, and I lose all of the months quotas + usage. I have monthly backups so I don't lose my settings and IP ranges.

The goal: save live quota usage on external thumb drive so I can just reflash gargoyle and not lose my quota info. Is that possible?

If not, can you recommend a solution/Andor troubleshooting? I'd obviously rather not buy a new router, but I will if need be.

Thanks!