Quota page not displayed

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

petermac

Quota page not displayed

Post by petermac »

I have noticed that sometimes the quota web page is not displayed correctly. The Gargoyle logo and the top border of the page are displayed but the menu and the actual page contents are not.

I think this may have something to do with changing the time after the router boots as I was able to display the page while the date was 1/1/00 but once it changed to today's date the page is not displayed correctly.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Quota page not displayed

Post by Eric »

Thanks for reporting this.

The current way the access restriction /quota module (these two sections are handled by the same back-end utility) handles timing is... less than ideal. I suspect what you're seeing is one symptom of a much larger problem. I'm already in the process of completely re-working how access restrictions and quotas are handled due to some of the problems with the current implementation strategy. This will also significantly increase stability and decrease memory usage.

That's the good news... the bad news is that because I'm changing so much the fix won't be done for a few more weeks. Last week I said two weeks.. but I got sick last weekend, so I'm way behind schedule. I am, however working as fast as I can. This is my top priority right now.

petermac

Post by petermac »

Is there any way to check the current quota usage from a ssh session?

If there isn't I may just disable the date/time update at boot time and just run with the current date as 1/1/2000 until the problem is sorted out. This way the web page will still work.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

You can run the command restricter_gargoyle (no arguments) to print out a list of all existing quotas and their % used (as well as all restriction rules and when they will next be active/inactive). However, the only thing at the top of the quotas page that might be a point where things are stalling is that command. You may therefore find that if you try using that command it hangs.

petermac

Post by petermac »

Yes you were right. The command does hang and the restricter_gargoyle process is using 98% of the cpu. I will disable the ntpclient process so that the date/time is not changed.

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

I get the same errors as well, just a confirmation.

Would disabling the ntpclient help? How would I do that?

petermac

Post by petermac »

ssh to the router and enter:

/etc/init.d/ntpclient disable

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Hi
I have the same problem of the quota page not being displayed, I have followed your guys instructions I downloaded putty so that I could ssh into the router, however it keeps on giving me "access denied" I have only changed the password on the router.
I have a Linksys WRT54GL.

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I have just uploaded the first bleeding-edge version with the new quota/restriction implementation. This constitutes a massive back-end re-write. Two new iptables (kernel) modules, three binary user-space programs (written in C) and a ton of shell script were involved.

It may still be a bit rough around the edges, so please be patient and report any problems you have. Eliminating bugs in the new system will be much easier than with the old one, so I should be able to iron out the quirks pretty quickly.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Eric I have just downloaded it so far so good, I like where you have combined the up and down downloads.