DIR-825 Website Filter?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

KompressR

DIR-825 Website Filter?

Post by KompressR »

I installed the latest build available on my DIR-825, although the instructions in the documentation weren't very clear on installation procedure I had no problem using the firmware image and installing through the default d-link firmware. After initial setup I ran through some settings which seemed to lock up the router, however after a power-off and reset, reinstall of firmware, it works great. I'm just curious, I don't see a website filter/parental control option currently available, is one planned to be available at some point?

sco77

Re: DIR-825 Website Filter?

Post by sco77 »

I'm looking for something similar.. I want to not just block certain sites but I want to redirect those sites somewhere else (example: to a page that says "this site is blocked on this network").

qtr

Re: DIR-825 Website Filter?

Post by qtr »

If you Google the topic there would be some explanations on the steps to set that up. However, a quick/short answer to that is in the LAN box (Connection, Basic) under Allow Alternate DNS: Force Clients To Use Router DNS Servers; ticks Custom DNS Servers, then Add the server ip address of your choice. I use OpenDNS. Finally add the chosen filtering service in the Dynamic DNS Services (Connection, Dynamic DNS).

Of course you will need to subscribe to the chosen filtering service for it to work. I currently have an open question (several post below) for the Gargoyle's creator(s) to see if they can make Netgear Live parental control to work with Gargoyle. It's basically an enhanced OpenDNS service with a 'time of day blocking'. Cheers