OpenWRT from LUCI to Gargoyle

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

patpat

Re: OpenWRT from LUCI to Gargoyle

Post by patpat »

I've been finally able to build the image with your last mod, I'll try it later.

a) It's very frustrating that every time I'm running
sh full-build-809.sh custom
the configuration has to be entered again... why is not saving it if I said so on the previous run??

b) When Selecting “Atheros 231x/5312" the classic OpenWRT builds
openwrt-atheros-ubnt2-squashfs.bin &
openwrt-atheros-ubnt5-squashfs.bin and I can flash the corresponding file.
Gargoyle does not differentiate between Nanostation2 and Nanostation5 is that right?

c) Where are the flashable squashfs.bin files?

thanks
Pat

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

a) If you want to re-build with the same configuration, why not cd into the build environment that gets setup in custom-src, make your changes and run make. You have to reconfigure every time because the outside script is meant to re-configure the build environment -- there's no reason you can't re-use it once it is configured.

b) The only differences between the two are the way they are packaged by the OpenWrt build scripts.

c) All firmware that gets built can be found in images/custom, or in the custom-src/bin/ directories (they get copied & renamed from the second to the first). I typically flash using the *root.squashfs file and the *vmlinux.lzma kernel (though the .gz kernel gets built as well). The only .bin files are openwrt-atheros-ubnt2-squashfs.bin and openwrt-atheros-ubnt5-squashfs.bin. These are the standard files that get build by OpenWrt build scripts -- you get exactly the same formats if you build the default OpenWrt 8.09 atheros images.

patpat

Post by patpat »

There's a previous post the you probably haven't seen...

a) cd custom-src + make menuconfig + make world; ok

b) ok but gargoyle does not make those files why?

c ) I have a Nanostation2 where is located the file I should flash? I do not want to brick my router.... I do not understand why the final building step does not produce "exactly" the same files OpenWRT does...

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

But Gargoyle does build those files. I posted one of them in this thread. I just did a build today and I checked that they got built....

patpat

Post by patpat »

no man..., I built Gargoyle for Atheros 231x/5312 following your instructions and this is what I've got...

~/gargoyle/trunk/images/custom$ ls
gargoyle_1.0.0_beta5-atheros-root.squashfs
gargoyle_1.0.0_beta5-atheros-vmlinux.elf
gargoyle_1.0.0_beta5-atheros-vmlinux.gz
gargoyle_1.0.0_beta5-atheros-vmlinux.lzma

~/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/bin$ ls
md5sums
openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.gz
openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs
openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma
openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.elf
packages

Where are the NS2 and NS5 flashable images??

I do not understand why you changed the OpenWRT final building steps...

thanks
Pat

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

It's odd that you can't build these files, as I have not had a problem. I wonder if it is host specific. I'm building on 64 bit Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope). I assure you that whatever is causing this issue is not deliberate. The only modifications I made that affect the end of the build process are in the include/image.mk script, and all that these modifications do is ensure that the init scripts for the various programs are properly activated/inactivated.

Since I can build these files ok, and the majority of users aren't using these devices anyway this isn't a particularly high priority for me. If I have some time later this week, I'll spend some more time trying to replicate the problem.

Of course, if you figure out what's causing the problem first (and post here), I'll be happy to incorporate whatever fix you come up with.

patpat

Post by patpat »

take it easy,
I'm building using Ubuntu 8.10 Jeos (32 bits) with the very same config that builds OpenWRT perfectly. Let me know if you have any news.

jar229

Post by jar229 »

Hi Eric:

I am very interested in compiling openwrt with Gargoyle.
The problem is that I am a newbie in linux and need a step by step very simple.
You could help me?
The router on which I installed is a Comtrend CT-5361 with a BCM63xx chip (recently supported by openw-wrt).

Thanks and congratulations for your work ;)

PS: I have 2 'Foneras' with Gargoyle and working perfectly. :lol:
PPD: I had previously posted in the forum: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... ?f=8&t=149