Upgrading from b4 to b5?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Lucky75

Upgrading from b4 to b5?

Post by Lucky75 »

Hey,

I was just wondering about the correct procedure to upgrade the betas? If I take a backup, reflash (using the update page in the gui) and then restore backups, would that cause any problems?

Is there a better way? I don't mind ssh'ing into the router, but I was wondering what the best way to do an upgrade would be? I look forward to testing beta 5 :D

Thanks!

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading from b4 to b5?

Post by Eric »

The main problem restoring your old settings will cause is that the gargoyle configuration file, which indicates which sections are visible will be replaced with the old one, which may not specify all the new sections. The solution is to replace this one configuration file after doing the backup. See this thread.

Edit:Another problem is that after reboot ntpclient may not start correctly. See this thread for more info, and for solution.

One thing I should mention: there was another problem a lot of people were having when restoring old settings which had to do with a a conflict between the older version of the firewall script and the newer one. In the Beta5 release the restore script will automatically update the line in the firewall script that needs to be changed, so you shouldn't have to worry about that problem any more.

FRiC

Re: Upgrading from b4 to b5?

Post by FRiC »

One other problem I had with restoring backups was that backups made with older version without the wireless bridging features didn't seem to work too well with the newer versions.

Should not be a problem with the current versions though.