beta 4 will not save many vital changes

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

doodoo88

beta 4 will not save many vital changes

Post by doodoo88 »

Thank you for this very nice software.

system: win98SE, Firefox v 2.0020. Linksys WRT54G model 2 router wit last firmware update issued by Linksys.

I have discovered several problems on my platform
1. enabling wireless access point, WPA2 encryption and other important changes will not save -no matter how many times the changes are made and saves attempted . Curiously, other fields in other sections of the firmware will save properly, eg, router name.

2. It is impossible to update the firmware with .bin or trx files. An error is reported to the effect that the connection was lost with the server. Thus I cannot update to the 'bleeding edge' trx nor restore the Linksys firmware.

3. The router will not respond to its reset button no matter how long it is depressed. However, I can still connect to the internet and the router and view its Gargoyle firmware when the router has been powered off and then on.

Have I bricked my router .... or?

Thanks to all who respond with assistance.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: beta 4 will not save many vital changes

Post by Eric »

Sorry about your troubles with Beta4 -- I suspect the bleeding edge firmware will solve a lot of these problems, although the reset button is hardware-specific and isn't implemented in the newer versions either.

You can upgrade manually by using scp to transfer the trx to the /tmp directory of Gargoyle:

Code: Select all

scp -r bleeding-edge.trx 192.168.1.1:/tmp
And then, after sshing into the router, run this command to install the firmware:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
mtd -r write bleeding-edge.trx linux
Wait a few minutes, and the firmware will be written and the router will reboot.

doodoo88

Post by doodoo88 »

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

In my first post above I mentioned 'reset button' not functioning, I meant the reset button on the router itself -not a reset button in Gargoyle. Does Gargoyle disable the router's hardware reset function?

Forgive my ignorance. But what are scr and ssh? Are these native command line utilities in win98 or are they applications I must download and install? If the latter, recommendations for freeware, easy to use applications would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ah, I forgot you're using windows. Those are unix commands, but you can install windows equivalents. Install PuTTY and PSCP which are windows equivalents which you can find here. This allows you to connect to the router via the command line.

I was referring before to the hardware reset button. On the WRT54G this is actually implemented in the original firmware, not the hardware, so it doesn't work. There is a reboot button in the GUI in the latest bleeding edge version of Gargoyle.

Also -- I was thinking about it, and I'm a little concerned about the severity of the symptoms you report in Beta 4. Yes, there are some bugs in that version that have been fixed, but I haven't heard anyone report that they couldn't even save the network configuration before this. Could you be very specific about what you see when the changes fail to be saved? After you hit the save changes button does it just wait forever, or does it just reset everything to previous settings after a few seconds? Do be aware it takes some time (30 seconds or so on WRT54G routers) to save networking changes so it's important to be patient and not try to reload the page right away.

doodoo88

Post by doodoo88 »

Eric kindly asked:
'Could you be very specific about what you see when the changes fail to be saved?

After you hit the save changes button does it just wait forever, or does it just reset everything to previous settings after a few seconds?'

It is certain that I cannot save any of the items below on the Wireless and Internet/WAN section of CONNECTIONS page:

Wireless
Wireless Mode:
Wireless Channel:
Enable Wireless MAC Filter
MAC Filter Policy:

Access Point SSID:
Do Not Broadcast SSID
Isolate Wireless Clients
Encryption:
Password:

- nor can I save any change in the Internet / WAN section, eg, 'Use custom MTU'.

Here is what happens when I go to the Connections page and make changes such as enabling wireless access point, encryption, etc.

Changes are entered, Save button is then clicked and a message later appears saying the changes were saved. Sometimes the message appears in seconds and sometimes it never appears at all, even after 10 minutes. The changes are retained on the page after the Save button is pushed (until you close and return to it).

In fact, no changes are saved. Going to the Status page (and checking my wireless computers ) shows that wireless access point has not been enabled. Returning to the Connections page reveals that none of the changes took, thus all that appears are the default settings.

Thanks for the link to Putty. I suspected that scp and ssh were not part of windows, as entering the commands in your reply had no effect but error messages.

Should the entire file name be in the commands, ie,
gargoyle_bleeding_edge-brcm.trx ?

I am grateful for your very quick assistance already rendered.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Yes, use the full file name. I was just typing quickly and figured you would get the idea if I referred to the firmware as just bleeding_edge.trx -- Sorry if I wasn't clear about the file name.