Default QoS Rules Contest **Complete**

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pkm

Re: Default QoS Rules Contest

Post by pkm »

topshot wrote:
pkm wrote:
topshot wrote: It hasn't gotten me an A consistently (last test was a C), but using the current new defaults in post #1 gives results much better than it was. Can't post pics/links but this was last test I ran:
dslreports.com/speedtest/21179936.png

Is this with ACC enabled?
Yes. Should it not be?
Thats fine i was just curious because of the ping. I thought maybe it was a local server and having ACC off kinda messes with ping times (at least for me)

pkm

Post by pkm »

So in regards to gaming, has anyone come to a conclusion as to what setup is best? When your connection is being bombarded from a few other members in the house especially hehe.

encro

Post by encro »

pkm wrote:So in regards to gaming, has anyone come to a conclusion as to what setup is best? When your connection is being bombarded from a few other members in the house especially hehe.
I'm currently using the new default setup as per OP with an additional QoS channel that has a rule to forward traffic on that IP to the Game QoS Channel and vice versa for upload. The rule is after the <128 rule.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

pkm

Post by pkm »

encro wrote:
pkm wrote:So in regards to gaming, has anyone come to a conclusion as to what setup is best? When your connection is being bombarded from a few other members in the house especially hehe.
I'm currently using the new default setup as per OP with an additional QoS channel that has a rule to forward traffic on that IP to the Game QoS Channel and vice versa for upload. The rule is after the <128 rule.
How is that working out for you?

encro

Post by encro »

Not as well as I'd like, I'm still looking for something that is better able to prioritise gaming traffic.
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

Knomax

Post by Knomax »

I am first person shooter gamer (call of duty)...i want my bullets to kill fast (hit detection) i try diferent rules and different classes several times..different times in day.

The "best" settings i have found that works perfect is this...

The game uses UDP packets for move..bullets...etc but it has and many ACK,SYN packets.

Sooo first rule for register fast movement and bullets when i shoot..
Second rule..maximum packet length 128 bytes for ACK,SYN packets..
Third rule...minimum 129 bytes...maximum 512 bytes.

The creation of rules is based in packet lengths i have found live via wireshark...

And for browsing...sites opens really fast and bufferbloat in DSLreports is very low.
Give them a try and write here how it works. ;)

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio »

@Knomax

I'm not a gamer, but I would like to try the two rules for browsing.

How about the upload rules? Did you enter the same values?

Knomax

Post by Knomax »

Yes the same rules for upload....pages open really fast...try it. ;)

pkm

Post by pkm »

Been using your settings for a few days now Knomax, and they are pretty good. Web pages still respond well under heavy load. Its also not too cluttered either with many rules so to me its a good contender for the best default rules contest :)

Only one problem with this is, you just have to be mindful of games that use TCP like WoW, and if you add TCP to the list there you suddenly end up prioritizing a whole heap of things that is not gaming traffic. So i simply just use the port number for WoW and it works fine.

encro

Post by encro »

I agree, thanks Knopix for the inspiration. It's working better than any previous solution.

I had to set the IP on the game rule though otherwise use of Facebook Messenger and Torrents seems to add lag when sending UDP for audio/video messenging.
Last edited by encro on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.