Version 1.3.10: Broadcom 2.6, Dual Band N

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

DoesItMatter

Re: Version 1.3.10: Broadcom 2.6, Dual Band N

Post by DoesItMatter »

leedagar wrote:Hi , did anyone tried installing the new version 1.3.10 onto linksys WRT54GL model? I tried it on two of these but finally reverted it again to version 1.3.9 due not working and both bricked them and needed to use the tftp procedure. My setup is a router and bridge , the router went unreachable after second reboot when changing some simple ip settings before the first reboot , so these settings worked well after the first reboot. So i reverted the router back to 1.3.9 using tftp procedure. Then i noticed the bridge worked partly, one computer got the right gateway configured on the card , the second computer got the gateway of the ip configured which was the ip of the bridge. So i reverted it also back to version 1.3.9. Now everything works perfectly. I would like to know if all these problems can be caused due the reason i better should do a hard reset (30-30-30 procedure) and reinstalling the factory firmware of wrt54gl and then starting again updating the 1.3.10 firmware. Will be probably first needed to install the gargoyle_1.3.10-wrt54g-squashfs.bin and then updating the firmware to gargoyle_1.3.10-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx , right? If you can confirm i can give it a try because i have a spare WRT54GL(v1.1) model which i can swap always to test my configuration. Thanks in advance.
lee - see this thread:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=6&t=1104

You cannot upgrade from 1.3.9 -> 1.3.10 with the same config.

When you flash the WRT54G's to 1.3.10, you have to manually
re-enter all the configs, etc, HAVE to start fresh for 1.3.10
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

leedagar

Post by leedagar »

Hi, right i mentioned this also before. I tried it also with entering the config manually instead of backup/restoring the config. I am now trying to fully reset the router and bridge with the factory firmware and retrying to install the version 1.3.10 and configuring it manually. I keep my results posted. Thanks

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

SVoyager: I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the latest release. I've never seen the behavior you describe (not rebooting properly, router having to be reflashed). Could you please clarify what settings you were altering when this happened? I'd like to be able to replicate the problem and prevent this bug from biting anyone else!

leedagar: It should work with a WRT54GL (all versions) provided you don't try restoring from an old config file. I'm rather puzzled why it isn't working for you... Is anyone else with a WRT54GL having similar problems?

SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

On my end this is how I made it crash:

I had setup my usb drive share again, everything worked good this time so I wanted to add authentication to it. (note that the first time, after toying a lill with the share settings, the router wouldn't accept making anymore changes to the shares and no matter what I did, evrytime I tried to make a new share, it wouldn't be saved and whenever I reloaded the page, it reverted back as if I didn't had a share set. My only solution was to reflash so to get the router "unstuck" and accept changes again.)

On to what I did before I crashed the router:

-I made a backup of the currently working config.
-I added authentication (I don't have it anymore here so I don't remember how it was called but its the one that lets you set a user/pass and not the one with the authentication by ip).

-Saved and rebooted the router.
-Tried to connect, it asked a password but for some reason the one that I set didn't worked (and it was a simple test123 pass). I decided to try different things and for some reason, when I used "admin" as the user with "test123" as pass, I could see the list of shares. Accessing the share itself was refused still and no matter the combination of user/pass I used, it didn't work. Strange stuff.
-Removed authentication.
-Trying to access the share still asked me for a password. So thought it was some sort of caching so I rebooted both PC and Router and cleared as much cache as I could.
-Still asking me for a password. Tried my laptop. Laptop never tried to connect to that share yet so no caching possible. Password still being asked in the laptop. So ok, i'm thinking that its just bugged, no way out of it.
-Used backup I made before toying with the settings.
-Router never rebooted back. Had to use the flash recovery.

So thats pretty much exactly what happened. One important thing to note that could be related to this. I remember having "strange" issues on previous versions of the firmware. It happened that sometimes I needed to reboot 2-3 times before the router restarted correctly. So possibly corrupted NVRAM as DoesItMatter suggested above. I have yet tried to reflash to factory firmware and then back to gargoyle (didnt had the time, will try tnight or tmorrow). If only there was a way to read the actual firmware and check it. That would confirm if there is corruption (Pretty much like when one flashes a motherboard bios, it checks if the written data is correct once the bios has been flashed.).

Anyways, hope this info is useful to you.
Off to work! (sorry for the long post)

SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

Ok, flashed to dlink firmware and back to gargoyle using the gargoyle_1.3.10-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs-factory.bin

Router boots ok, but no usb again.

I then tried to flash again but this time using the sysupgrade. (flashed from within gargoyle).

gargoyle_1.3.10-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

usb appears this time and works good. I always used the factory firmware thinking this was a "clean start" firmware. Never really used the sysupgrade file because it says it keeps your config untouched (always thought making a clean start was always the safest way to do things, especially when having problems like was the case here). I went back on this site's documentation page and also openwrt's and I didn't saw on any of these pages anything mentioning that it was wrong to do it that way or that it was preferable to use the sysupgrade file.

Am I flashing this the right way? Could it be that the factory file was problematic this time??? MD5 checks fine on it.

NL2009

Post by NL2009 »

Eric wrote: leedagar: It should work with a WRT54GL (all versions) provided you don't try restoring from an old config file. I'm rather puzzled why it isn't working for you... Is anyone else with a WRT54GL having similar problems?
Hi Eric, I installed 1.3.10 over 1.2.4 on my WRT54GL router and the upgrade worked perfectly. As recommended, I re-entered all settings manually rather than doing a restore. My router is configured for PPPoE (wired).

One point to note is that I have upgraded the DRAM on my router to 32MB (instead of the default 16MB) so this could explain why I have not experienced any problems. My unit shows memory usage of around 17MB without any QOS or Quotas configured.

I have rebooted and power-cycled it a couple of times and it is always fully operational in about one mintute. This is way faster than the previous 1.2.4 version I was using :-)
Regards, Nigel

leedagar

Post by leedagar »

Hi, some update info, the bridge setup works for me for version 1.3.10 but the router setup not, the only thing i did was changing the ip address on the router and after reboot it didn't respond to this address. (192.168.1.65 instead of the default 192.168.1.1) But what is most strange is when i connect the router with cable directly to my pc, it gets and ip address assigned in that range but still i cannot ping to the router ip address. Also when i try at the bridge to find an wifi network it says it does not find one but the wifi led is blinking. So i reverted it back to firmware 1.3.09 and everything worked immediatly. So we cannot say there is a hardware issue or it must be related to insufficient memory but then i would expect the router would reboot constantly, no? What i will do next time is to keep the router with the default ip address and see if it will respond to my bridge. I keep you in touch...Thanks, Lee

hipitihop

Post by hipitihop »

Eric wrote: Is anyone else with a WRT54GL having similar problems?
Yes, I flashed from 1.3.7 onto my WRT54GL 1.1 last night and spent till wee hours trying to recover from that situation. These are the steps symptoms as best I remember them:

1. upgraded using web ui to 1.3.10 trx which I verified with md5sum after download.
2. browser got stuck after "upgrade successful, rebooting" or some such Waited > 5 minutes, browser still waiting.
3. Pinged router from terminal and it was responding on old ip 192.168.0.1 note my pref subnet as opposed to default 192.168.1.1, so clearly it had not rebooted.
4. Decided to power cycle the router and after what seemed an inordinate time, e.g 3-4 times normal reboot time, power light stopped flashing.
5. Very slowly web ui finally responded, entered default password and got only half a page of first time boot, filled in new password details and submitted but no response, browser just sat there.
6. Tried ssh login, timed out, eventually got in but very very laggy. Managed to confirm it was 1.3.10
7. Rebooted router again, very similar symptoms for boot time, and eventual web ui/ssh response. top did not show anything significant, mem and cpu did not look over taxed, managed to eventually do df -h, also seemed ok, but both top and web ui sporadically respond then time-out or lagged badly.Even top just paused. When lag period occurred, ping from terminal would time out.
8. Out of desperation after giving up, decided to try and upgrade back to 1.3.7 using web ui, but was taking for ever, sporadic ping time-outs etc.. gave up and went to bed left upgrade running. In the morning, fortunately 1.3.7 had taken and managed to log in, restored back up and back to normal.

Note: when upgraded to 1.3.10 I did not restore any settings.

dantheman

Password Reset

Post by dantheman »

Hi I'm wondering how to reset the passord for my default gateway? I no longer have access to the password and ive tried resetting the router and it does not go back to the default password. If there is not a way to do this through the user interface, is there a way to uninstall the firmware from my router so i can try and install the original firmware that came with the product?

Thanks