Version 1.3.10: Broadcom 2.6, Dual Band N

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

caeci11ius

Re: Version 1.3.10: Broadcom 2.6, Dual Band N

Post by caeci11ius »

I'm not getting any wireless lights on the WNDR3700, either the blue 5GHz light when I briefly tried that, or the green 2.4GHz light. That said, wireless seems to be working (at least on 2.4GHz, as I can't set a separate SSID I can't easily check whether 5GHz is working).

I can get a WDS going that allows one router to connect to the other...what I can't get working is any kind of rebroadcast. I've been able to test this better now that I've realized that I can set a separate SSID for rebroadcast when I put it in repeater mode. The second SSID just doesn't show up. I seem to get similar symptoms from WDS mode though...can connect through when plugged into the router, but not by connecting wirelessly to it (devices too far from the main router have spotty or no connection, even though they're more than close enough to the secondary).

Is there anything that I can do to help better diagnose what's going on with this? I'd really like to help get it fixed if I can...

Edit: Just thought I'd add...wireless clients sometimes briefly appear in the "connected hosts" list, but are still clearly getting their wireless from the main router (this is easy to tell due to the low reception). When this happens, the device in question's IP shows up, but the MAC address shows up as "unknown". I'll paste text from the router below...the connection with MAC displayed is the router to router connection, the other is a small internet appliance I have which is very far from the main router (only barely within range), but quite close to the secondary...

Hostname Host IP Host MAC Active TCP Cxns Recent TCP Cxns UDP Cxns
(unknown) 192.168.1.188 unknown 0 0 1
(unknown) 192.168.1.192 00:17:42:0F:1D:5E 1 11 0

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

It's probably my fault for not making this clearer in the interface: The 5GHZ band uses a different SSID than the 2.4GHz band, with the same base ssid name but with "_5GHz" at the end. Sorry for not making this more intuitive -- I'll try to improve it in the next release.

SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

-edit: removed my post because managed to make it work, swapped different channels.

I used this to check which channels were supported in canada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

but canada wasnt listed, figured that they would be the same as the US but thats not the case. Just switched to another channel and the _5GHz appeard

-edit2: When connected on the 5GHz channel, the host is not listed in the connection hosts page under connected wireless hosts. When on
2.4ghz channel, it shows fine tho. (Can anyone confirm this?)

-edit3: Rebooted after modifying some settings. The router never rebooted. Sometimes power light would go out, sometimes it seemed to start ok but dhcp never gave ip and assigning static didnt help either. Only way after a few hours was to reflash using firmware recovery.

-edit4: [venting sorry] dammit since reflashing with latest, usb menu is just not showing anymore. Damn gargoyle can be annoying sometimes [/venting sorry]
Last edited by SVoyager on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

I have a topic in the general section of the forum about this...probably should have put it in development, but there you go... http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=5&t=1094 ...it seems that gargoyle's not currently setting the channels list based on any sort of country setting. Then again, if this is the case all channels in the UI should work regardless of where you are, unless the router also has some hardware/non flashable setting preventing this.

Available channel frequencies based on the set country code can be retrieved with iw reg get on the command line. Note that anything marked dfs requires radar detection and cannot be used until that is implemented by openwrt...

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

SVoyager wrote:Thx 4 the info!

My drive is currently in NTFS. I managed to make it work, it included reflashing the router again to get it "unstuck", remaking the shares with the proper config and its now working.

-edit. Another lill suggestion. The password field in the CIFS Access Policy is not hidden!
SVoyager - check this thread I did on USB speed tests:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=5&t=1109

Quite enlightening on what a difference the file-system can make!
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

Indeed great info thanks! Gonna try reformatting it, it was empty anyway.

However, ever since I reflashed with the factory default 1.3.10 firmware, the usb option is gone as was with the previous versions.

There is something I don't understand with this. Its the same image I used and it was working fine, until it compleatly crashed the router and I reflashed again and now usb is gone. How can this happen? Is there some sort of caching in the router. Or something else that would explain why I don't have the same results from the same firmwares!

Its not like you can flash a firmware in 20 different ways.
:? :?

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

SVoyager wrote:Indeed great info thanks! Gonna try reformatting it, it was empty anyway.

However, ever since I reflashed with the factory default 1.3.10 firmware, the usb option is gone as was with the previous versions.

There is something I don't understand with this. Its the same image I used and it was working fine, until it compleatly crashed the router and I reflashed again and now usb is gone. How can this happen? Is there some sort of caching in the router. Or something else that would explain why I don't have the same results from the same firmwares!

Its not like you can flash a firmware in 20 different ways.
:? :?
SVoyager - was this a WNDR3700 ?

I would try re-flashing to the factory firmware and verify that
everything works, then factory reset, then again try and
re-flash Gargoyle 1.3.10 once again, and see if that resets.

I'd bet there are some corrupted NVRAM variables somewhere.

SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

its a DIR-825.

Is there a way to verify the integrity of a newly installed firmware? Can this be done? Could help in pinpointing the source of some issues.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

SVoyager wrote:its a DIR-825.

Is there a way to verify the integrity of a newly installed firmware? Can this be done? Could help in pinpointing the source of some issues.
Yea, download it, and run an MD5 Sum checker on the file.

Eric has those posted right next to the download links.

If it downloads and MD5 verifies correctly, it either flashes and
works, or it flashes and doesn't work - but - it can also not work
properly if there are corrupted NVRAM variables

Try the factory re-flash if you can, then re-flash Gargoyle.

http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-825_vB1

There it is - just follow that page to revert back to D-Link.

leedagar

Post by leedagar »

Hi , did anyone tried installing the new version 1.3.10 onto linksys WRT54GL model? I tried it on two of these but finally reverted it again to version 1.3.9 due not working and both bricked them and needed to use the tftp procedure. My setup is a router and bridge , the router went unreachable after second reboot when changing some simple ip settings before the first reboot , so these settings worked well after the first reboot. So i reverted the router back to 1.3.9 using tftp procedure. Then i noticed the bridge worked partly, one computer got the right gateway configured on the card , the second computer got the gateway of the ip configured which was the ip of the bridge. So i reverted it also back to version 1.3.9. Now everything works perfectly. I would like to know if all these problems can be caused due the reason i better should do a hard reset (30-30-30 procedure) and reinstalling the factory firmware of wrt54gl and then starting again updating the 1.3.10 firmware. Will be probably first needed to install the gargoyle_1.3.10-wrt54g-squashfs.bin and then updating the firmware to gargoyle_1.3.10-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx , right? If you can confirm i can give it a try because i have a spare WRT54GL(v1.1) model which i can swap always to test my configuration. Thanks in advance.