VOIP router + Gargoyle router

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

kun1he2

VOIP router + Gargoyle router

Post by kun1he2 »

I've an existing D-Link VOIP router which comes supplied with the service provider, and I've just recently added a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router upgraded with Gargoyle 1.3.9 for wireless N and gigabit connectivity.

Question - for best effect, should the VOIP router be in front or behind the Gargoyle router? The VOIP router has a bridge mode, but it seems to be disabled by the service provider - so it now acts as a gateway to the Gargoyle router which is directly behind the VOIP router now.

If Gargoyle router is placed in front - would QoS configuration be simply enabling the checkboxes for QoS upload and download? I assume there would be no config changes on the VOIP router side - just need to connect one of the 4 TP-Link router LAN ports to the VOIP router's WAN port right?

EDIT: I believe I'd need to add a bunch of port forwarding rules as well?

BikeMike

Re: VOIP router + Gargoyle router

Post by BikeMike »

Does the VoIP router have LAN (not WAN) ports? If so, try plugging one of it's LAN ports into one of your Gargoyle router's LAN ports, This will mean your Gargoyle router is doing the routing, and the VoIP router part is bypassed. Whether this works probably depends on your device.

Having your internet traffic through 2 routers is not ideal, it can slow things down and may cause problems with some P2P type programs. So if you must have both routers active I'd put the VoIP behind Gargoyle, not the other way around.

I haven't bothered with QOS but you could create a VoIP class with minimum bandwidth if required. I have port 5060-5061 forwarded to the VoIP IP address.

Kind Regards,
Mike

kun1he2

Post by kun1he2 »

Yes, the VOIP router has 4 x LAN ports - but may I know the rationale behind connecting using a LAN port instead of the WAN port?

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

Internally your all-in-one VoIP router is made up of several building blocks. The 4 LAN ports are on a network switch. Think of the VoIP part being internally connected to another port on that switch. The "router" part connects between the WAN port and another internal connection to the switch. So by connecting to a LAN port you bypass the routing function.

You'll still need to configure both devices in the same IP subnet for it to work.

kun1he2

Post by kun1he2 »

Thanks for the tip - was under the misconception that the voip traffic must always pass thru the WAN port... ;)

unomaha

Post by unomaha »

Is there a way to connect a company's VoIP phone to a users home computer? I am doing a project for school and I have the basic fundamentals down for implementing the system. I was wondering if it was possible with a functional VoIP Phone at an office for a user to connect to his/her phone from their home?

hipitihop

Post by hipitihop »

unomaha wrote:Is there a way to connect a company's VoIP phone to a users home computer? I am doing a project for school and I have the basic fundamentals down for implementing the system. I was wondering if it was possible with a functional VoIP Phone at an office for a user to connect to his/her phone from their home?
Theoretically it certainly is possible, but it obviously depends on what you have available at home and what system the company has. For example, using Asterisk http://www.asterisk.org/ it is possible to have multiple physical locations and have calls, not just voip, routed between the locations. You would have to do some research.