Two TL-1043ND and WDS repeater?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tuvoc

Two TL-1043ND and WDS repeater?

Post by tuvoc »

Hi, I've just jumped over to gargoyle/openwrt from previously using mainly dd-wrt on both x86 machines and standard routers.

My setup is quite simple, but I have some problems with WDS.

One of the 1043ND's is the main router, running latest experimental Gargoyle, it's set to AP+WDS, CH6, 40MHz (below) bandwidth, NGB-mode, WPA2 PSK. This is working fine for clients both on ethernet and wifi side, no problems there.

The second 1043ND (also latest 1.5.2) is configured as Wireless Bridge/Repeater. Same subnet and all.. Connects via WDS, and rest of the settings are the same. The computers connected to the ethernet ports on this unit can access the whole network without any problems, and vice versa.

But I need it to repeat the wireless signal to extend coverage, and the only way to get that option seems to be to use "Client Bridge" and enable the repeater. In this mode things get a bit flaky, dhcp timeouts, computers connected to the main AP cannot connect to anything on the second AP, not even the AP itself. But all communication from the second AP to the rest of the network is working. :o

So, is there some way to use WDS and add a VAP with same SSID/channel/settings/etc. so I can extend the range of my WiFi?

I'm guessing it can be done with the openwrt console, although gargoyle doesn't have these settings in the webgui. Lots of searching and testing and I have not had any success with manual configurations. And then gargoyle gui overwrites manual settings too, which is another small annoyance. ;)

A feature I would like to see is the 'noscan' option being selectable in the wireless settings page, so I can force 40MHz without having to edit files manually.

One thing I noticed on the Alix/x86 version 1.5.2 of gargoyle is that opkg update doesn't work, it tries to pull lists from a version 1.6(?) that doesnt exist, so I cannot update/install packages on the x86 version.

Other then this, I must say gargoyle looks great, still need to see how it holds up after some weeks of hard work. Hoping for a stable and reliable time ahead!

tuvoc

Re: Two TL-1043ND and WDS repeater?

Post by tuvoc »

Solved it by going with a standard openwrt installation with luci and lots of manual editing..

so.. /end thread