QOS just for p2p downloads/streaming?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

pbix
Developer

Re: QOS just for p2p downloads/streaming?

Post by pbix »

Well seems you are moving right along with new requirement to play an interactive game.

If you are playing MW3 on the XBOX you should make a rule for that IP address and route traffic to/from it to the VoIP class. Also then enable the active congestion controller which will maintain your ping times at a low level. If you have all setup correctly then it should work. I myself play a lot on XBox live with this type of setup.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Zman

Post by Zman »

Hi pbix, i am actually playing it on the PC.

I have setup the pc ip to the fast profile.

I still lagged like hell when there is a few people using the connection (no major downloads/uploads).

I just turned on the congestion and will see how that goes :lol:

Zman

Post by Zman »

Unfortunately it still doesnt work.

I put the other 2 hosts on 1% upload and download QOS and my pc is on the 80% fast it still lags me when im playing MW3.

Should i be putting a minimum speed for the upload and download QOS for the fast profile?
Attachments
other.jpg
other.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 6576 times

tals

Post by tals »

I'm going through the same process at the moment so this is useful for me.

Out of interest how much bandwidth have you given to total upload and download. I'm on a 8096/512 connection so I have set 8000 for the download as per the automatic congestion control recommendation and I have set the up to 340, as this one seems to struggle to come close to 512.

Last night it was on 440 and whilst it was way better than a previous router it did still lag out at times so I am hoping the issue is the total bandwidth allocation for upstream (and reducing to 340 will alleviate?)

I do get confused with the bandwidth allocation as I have given myself 75% of up and down do to my way of thinking I should be happy and everyone else grumbling but no one else is complaining which makes me wonder if it doesn't quite work as clearly as I am expecting.

What are your settings in respect of total up and down?
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

Zman

Post by Zman »

As pbix said, put the upload speed to 90% of what you can get and 75% of your download speed.

If you have allocated yourself 75% and say 25% for the other people. If the other people are already using the max 25% and your only using 10% they can go all the way up to 90% if you get what i mean.

I think i have fixed my issue by putting the 80% QOS profile im on a minimum of 200kbps of upload and 500kbps of download. This is more than enough for the games i play. This is early days though but i was able to play MW3 yesterday with minimal lag.

Hope that helps.

Zman

Post by Zman »

With the QOS in place and the minimum speeds i get "spikes" every couple of seconds. I lag for a second or 2 then its fine for another 30 seconds :cry:

Could it be there is too many connections? Connections:2061/4096

Anyone know why it is doing this?

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Zman & Tals,

Could both of you please report the version of Gargoyle you are using? Also the type of WAN connection, is it DSL?

If you are playing an interactive online game then I would recommend that you create a class just for that game. In the case of my XBox I have a class 10%, 150kbps min and no maximum. Zman, you would have to use the port number the came is using to do this. You can try and add this minimum to your existing PC class but I am worried that other processes running on your PC will end up in the class so watch for that. Also, while playing your game make sure that the you are not exceeding this minimum bandwidth. I am not sure what MW3 will require, it should be measured.

All of this will come to naught unless you check that all your traffic is ending up in the class you intend. For this reason you should check the connections page and make sure. Both of you please confirm you have done this.

Gamers should use the active congestion controller so please turn it on. Please tell me what ping limit is shown in the status section. What link limit does it go to when the WAN link is under load?

Now the issue of the proper setting for the upload bandwidth is an interesting one. I wrote the directions and they intend that you put 90% of the measured value. Tals, the numbers you mention do not look like measured values. One user reported to me that he had to use an even smaller setting. So as a test try 50% of the measured value and see if that improves things.

I am an online gamer myself and trying to make Gargoyle the best router software out there for gaming. While i think it already is we can still improve and have some new features I want to try out on you once we get what we have working reasonably and I have answers to my above questions. It is with the help of users like you that we make things better for everyone.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tals

Post by tals »

Awesome many thanks and for your input. In terms of the connection I use adsl, using a adsl modem (Netgear 834g switched to modem through config) and then I use ppoe on Gargoyle 1.51 (Netgear 3700v2)

In terms of the game it is league of legends and I run this from the PC, which is also using mumble for the voice comms. I am happy that all traffic for the PC be one class - i.e I understand if steam starts to download that will kill my connection. Up to now my issues has been other pcs browsing or downloading/uploading which cases massive spikes in the pings.

I initially went for setting up a number of classes
My PC
Wifes PC/Phone
Daughtesr PC/Phone
Sons PC/Itouch

Upload
I've given my bandwidth 80%
all other classes 5%

I've set total upload to be 400 Kbits oon a 512kb connection (hope I have the correct value re the 400)

Download
Mine 80%
All others 5%

Total 8000 on a 8MB connection

Active congestion is enabled

So given the above would you suggest going 150Kbps min on both upload and dwnload and 10% and divy the rest of the connection amongst the others or is mine above a possible

Really up for any thoughts or suggestions - or if you need screenshots/settings let me know

Tals

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

The minimum bandwidth you will need depends on the game you are playing. Best to watch the class while you are playing to get a sense of it. My experience with XBox live is that I need around 40kbps unless I am the host in which case I need around 100kbps. So I set it up for 100kbps. I have a VoIP phone and I have measured it at 80kbps. I have seen Skype take about 80kbps. You need to set the same for the upload and down typically.

If your wife and daughter intend to use a phone (or skype) on their PC then they have minimum bandwidth requirements. You should these one after considering the above.

Then like I asked before lets cut your upload bandwidth setting down to 256kbps (50%) and see if that solves the latency issue. If it does as I suspect then start increasing it until you find the point that things break down again. The most trouble seems to occur when uploading is going on so test that. Report your results.

Your download setting is fine because the ACC will control it automatically. But ACC is enhanced in v1.5.1 to automatically determine a ping time limit for you. Please tell me what "ping time limit" is showing under the congestion control status section. Also what "Fair link limit" did it find?

Now sometimes we have latency issues due to other factors out on the net so we cannot blame all on whats going on in the house. Often difficult to tell where the latency is coming from but you can watch the ACC screen to see what filtered ping times the router is getting. If it is under the limit then the lag is somewhere out on the net.

Post your results of the above and then I will make a suggestion that should allow you to restore your upload setting.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tals

Post by tals »

OK just did a test with my daughter so hopefully I have captured all the relevant information but if not we can redo specifcs

Idle Network
Link 7200
Fair Link 7200
Filtered Ping 47
Ping Time limit 90

On my PC on the network in mumble (talking) and game
Game Ping 70 (if it's under 120 it will play fine)
Mumble Ping 58

Upload and download Kbps 30

Filtered ping remained at 47

Now I bring my daughter into the equation - she is playing videos/real player etc

Download Bandwidth 1500-5000
Mine still <30

Link limit 1676
fair link limit 1700
link load 1660
ping (gargoyle) 51-250
filtered ping 63

In general the ping in game could spike up to 250 ish (sometimes more) and then when the router sees it - which can sometimes be a time (5 seconds maybe more) it brings it back down. Not sure if there would be a reason my ping is high when routers is not

I did find setting my daughter to a maximum bandwidth of 3000 improved the position and also setting her upload to 100.

I did try reducing the max upload to 250 and this didn't make any difference (in fact if anything made it worse), 400 seemed to be a sweet spot.

The part that seemed to give the best results was setting the maximum download to 7000 (no acc). Pings stayed fairly stable at sub 100 - though real player could still send it to around 150 nothing mad

So what I have now
Download - max 7000 no acc
My bandwidth 78% (is this necessary?)
min bandwidth 80
max bandwidth unlimited

Daughters
5%
min bandwidth 0
Max bandwidth 3000

Upload max 400
Mine 80%
Min bandwidth 50
max unlimited

daughter 5%
min bandwidth 0
max bandwidth 100

It might be I need to tie my Son and daughter to the same connection or I may just try and keep them separate with the same restrictions

Any thoughts you have appreciated

** nb I then tested my son and daughter together and that moved the ping to around 160ish so I have put them in the same class and that seems to sort it. May need to rethink this aspect as my son does play games.....again thoughts on this one, though thinking about it - the fact he is in my daughters class won't be bad in this respect?