wireless scheduler...

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

angelsanges

wireless scheduler...

Post by angelsanges »

hi all!
i am on gargoyle and a netgear 3700v2....
how i can setup wireless schedule? wireless on/off at specified times....

thanks!

Urgje

Re: wireless scheduler...

Post by Urgje »

Hi,

Running 1.5.0 on a WNDR3700v2 myself, but I don't think there's an overall setting for WiFi on/off, unless you do it manually on the router.
What you can do however; create a restriction rule under firewall / restrictions for your wireless clients. And to lock everyone else out, you could do the following (that's what I did):
1) Under Connection / Basic -> Wireless enable the wireless MAC filter and add the MAC addresses of the clients you want to allow.
2) Under Connection / DHCP -> Static IPs bind the MAC addresses of your wireless clients to a static internal IP address*, and enable the first option ('Block MAC addresses assigned a static IP that connect from a different IP')
* Use a certain block of addresses for your wireless clients (say ...10 to ...20)
3) Under Firewall / Restrictions -> Access Restrictions, create a rule for your wireless clients and set when they're NOT allowed to connect.
Or better; create an overall block rule and created your allow settings under -> Exceptions.

HTH
Urgje (Netgear WNDR3700v2 / Gargoyle 1.4.7)
[my ego shrank while growing up]

angelsanges

Post by angelsanges »

this method is ok but wireless turned off durig the night is better...

Urgje

Post by Urgje »

angelsanges wrote:this method is ok but wireless turned off durig the night is better...
Like I said; that can be done manually on the router; second button from below.
Urgje (Netgear WNDR3700v2 / Gargoyle 1.4.7)
[my ego shrank while growing up]

draga

Post by draga »

I did it using cron.
Get inside the router via ssh or telnet, then issue a "crontab -e"

Here's mine:

Code: Select all

0 3	* * *	wifi down
45 6	* * *	wifi up
which turns off the wifi radio at 3:00 in the night and turns it back on at 6:45.

Yes, sometimes I'm a night owl. I have also configured the button (on my wndr3800) so i can also manually turn it off/on.

More, sometimes I issue a "wifi down" when going to sleep from my smartphone, connected via wifi.