Custom DNS not sticking

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lucky75

Custom DNS not sticking

Post by Lucky75 »

Hey,

I seem to be having a problem with my custom DNS boxes, where I enter the information, and it seems to stick, but then I look back a little bit later (no resets or anything) and it's gone. Not too sure what's going on.

I also have a problem where when my nameservers on my computer in my resolv.conf are pointing to my router, it glitches rather often. I don't know if they are related or not? Maybe the values are stored in my router somewhere but not showing up on the gui and getting confused? Or I could just be an idiot :)

Thanks Eric!

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Custom DNS not sticking

Post by Eric »

I'll see if I can replicate this in the next day or two. How long does it take before you're seeing it reset?

Also, what name servers are you adding that are disappearing? If they're public, I'd like to try using those.

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

It varies from like 5 minutes to 7 days (when I check again). I'm not too sure on the exact time frame, but definitely pretty quickly.

I was just using the openDNS servers at 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

How would I see what nameservers the router is using through the shell? Maybe that could help?

I forgot to mention that I am still using beta5, so maybe you fixed it already? I'm waiting for that final release before upgrading again :)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ah... yeah that would make a difference. There was in issue with custom DNS that's been patched since Beta 5. Try the bleeding edge and see if that helps.

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

Ah, ok. My apologies for the wild goose chase :)