Error in MAC

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle john

Error in MAC

Post by uncle john »

I'm struggling with the bleeding_edge version.
Why do I keep getting this message? I've tried dashes, spaces, no spaces, lower case letters, upper case letters but the characters are always red and I get the dialog box below if I try to add the static IP address.
Error in MAC.jpg
Error in MAC.jpg (7.1 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
Also I notice that my PC has been assigned 192.168.1.167 when the range is supposed to start at: 192.168.1.100 and stop at: 192.168.1.249

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Error in MAC

Post by Eric »

The MAC address has to be specified as XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX That is, 6 groups of 2 hex digits separated by colons. This is a fairly standard way of formatting a MAC. Did you omit the colons maybe? I just tested this (when specified as described) on bleeding edge and it seems to work fine.

Also, it sounds like your DHCP is working fine. 192.168.1.167 is between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.249, so it's in the desired range. The DHCP doesn't just hand out IPs starting at the bottom of the range up to the max. I believe it hashes your MAC address and from that comes up with a specific IP it will try to assign to you. That way your IP is by default somewhat static. (Though if someone has a mac that hashes to a the same IP there will be a collision and one will get a different IP this time, so it's not a perfect static IP.).

uncle john

Re: Error in MAC

Post by uncle john »

Thanks for the explanation. Things are working fine now. :D